This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This creamy Avocado Crema is a soothing, tangy sauce made from avocado, sour cream, garlic and freshly squeezed lime juice. This versatile sauce is perfect for pairing with tacos and all other Mexican dishes, plus it can be a dip or salad dressing. Easy to make and only takes 5 minutes.
All about this Avocado Crema
This easy to make avocado cream sauce is smooth, mellow and beyond creamy with the combination of sour cream and blended avocado. This sauce is light, cold and soothing making it a wonderful complement to spicy foods. A smooth blending that can be used in place of sour cream or sliced avocados with your favorite Mexican dishes.
- Naturally creamy
- Smooth and mellow taste
- Easy to make
- Sour Cream: the creamy base of the sauce, you can also substitute with Mexican Crema, store-bought or homemade.
- Avocado: adds a buttery smooth creaminess to the sauce, gives a natural green coloring, and a mellow flavoring that pairs with spicy Mexican dishes.
- Lime Juice: use freshly squeezed juice for a light, fresh citrus tangy flavor.
- Garlic: fresh garlic cloves can be added right into the food processor to be blended. If you don’t have any fresh cloves on hand check out our guide for Garlic Substitutes.
- Salt: use a kosher or sea salt to help balance and bring out the flavors.
How to Make
- Blend: add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Store: pour cream sauce into a jar, seal and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Will keep for 3-4 days.
Substitutions & Variations
- Cilantro: want to add some extra herby flavoring? Add some cilantro leaves to the food processor to blend up into the crema.
- Spice: if you want to add a bit of spice to the avocado sauce, you can add some roasted jalapeño.
- Yogurt: instead of using mexican crema or sour cream swap with a plain yogurt.
- Thickness: if the avocado crema is too thick, simply add a splash of milk or water to thin it out to the desired consistency.
- Chilling: let the avocado lime flavoring of the crema meld together by covering and letting chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving if able.
- Spice: want something a little spicier? Check out this Avocado Salsa which uses tomatillos and jalapeños. Or you can do a spicy Chipotle Crema instead!
Yes, the longer you store the avocado crema you will notice a brown coloring. This crema is best used within the first 3 days.
Look for a dark green colored avocado that has just a slight give to it when you press the skin. If it’s hard with no give, the avocado will need several days to ripen before use.
- Storage: store in a sealed container, jar, or squeeze bottle in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer: it is not recommended to freeze this recipe.
How to Serve Avocado Crema
- Soups: add a spoonful or a drizzle of the avocado cream to soups like this Black Bean Soup, Taco Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup, and for a soothing, creamy texture and cooling sensation.
- Tacos: the flavoring is a wonderful pairing for these Carnitas Tacos, Ground Beef Tacos, Shredded Beef Tacos, and Shrimp Tacos.
- Dipping Sauce: serve a side with some Roasted Tex Mex Potatoes, Chicken Taquitos, Baked Chicken Quesadillas, or Tex Mex Crab Cakes for the ultimate creamy dip.
More Crema Recipes
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and then remove the avocado from the peel.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor.
- Blend until sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- It is not recommended to freeze this recipe.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.