There’s nothing I love more than an easy meal. And this Slow Cooker Carnitas is perfectly suited to that! This meal is simple to make and definitely flavorful. The slow cooker makes the meat super tender and juicy and a quick trip to the broiler for a few minutes gives those delightful crispy pieces.
This meal takes only a few minutes to prep. We start with a blend of spices where the star is the chipotle powder pepper. Which I looove! The chipotle powder gives wonderful flavor with the perfect amount of heat. Rub down the pork shoulder roast with the spices, add it to the crock pot. Top with some fresh squeezed orange juice, sliced onion, minced garlic, and jalapeno.
The meat will just fall apart after the time in the slow cooker. It shreds so easily. Sticking it under the broiler for a few minutes will give those crispy pieces. Which is a step you can definitely skip if you wish…but why would you wish that??
I hope you enjoy the recipe and will follow along on my cooking adventures:
Easy crock pot carnitas. Tender and juicy with just the right amount of spice. Perfect for tacos and burritos!
- 3 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 onion-quartered
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 small oranges juiced
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- In a small bowl combine the cumin, chipotle powder, salt, oregano, and black pepper, stir to combine.
- Rub down the pork roast with the seasoning.
- Place the roast into the slow cooker. Add the quartered onion, minced garlic, sliced jalapenos, and orange juice.
- Cook over low heat for 6 hours.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker and shred. Place the meat on a cookie sheet covered in foil. Spoon excess juices over the meat. Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes to get crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cook time includes time in the slow cooker.
More Easy Dinner Ideas for You:5