This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
All the flavors of the classic Mexican Fried Ice Cream without the actual frying! Cold, creamy vanilla ice cream coated with a crisp cinnamon coating. Perfect individual desserts for summer! Top with fudge sauce and whipped cream for a fun treat the entire family will love.
Easy Mexican Fried Ice Cream. Having fried ice cream is a treat usually reserved for going out to eat at the local Mexican restaurants. Making authentic FRIED ice cream at home can be kind of messy. Which is where this EASY to make NOT TRULY FRIED version comes in.
How to make Mexican Fried Ice Cream
- Scoop the ice cream (you can use any flavor you like! Vanilla is a traditional flavor). Form the scoops into nice round ball shapes and place on a cookie sheet.
- Freeze the ice cream balls. This will help them hold their shape.
- Crush corn flakes. I have had a lot of people comment and message that they have made this with Cinnamon Toast cereals also and it’s always a big hit!
- Toast the cereal in a skillet with some butter and ground cinnamon.
- Remove the ice cream and roll in a cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Coat the ice cream with the toasted cereal.
- Top with chocolate, whipped cream and cherries.
Yes they can! I try to keep the ice cream balls frozen and coat with the toasted cereal just before serving. However, you can prepare them ahead of time and have them in the freezer. Just wait to add any toppings like chocolate sauce or whipped cream until you serve.
Yes! You can choose any flavor you would prefer. Just make sure you choose a flavor that will complement the cinnamon coating.
- Shape the ice cream into the ball form and then re-freeze for at least 3 hours.
- When handling the ice cream to put the coating on, wear plastic gloves, it will help prevent melting due to the heat from your hands
- Instead of rolling the ice cream in the crumb coating, it’s easier to set them in there and press the coating on using your hands.
More Dessert Recipes to try:
- Cinnamon Tortilla Rollups
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Rolls
- Tres Leches Cake
- Fresas con Crema
- Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
Easy Mexican Fried Ice Cream
- 4 large scoops ice cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups corn flakes crushed
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Whipped Cream
- Hot fudge sauce
- Scoop the ice cream and shape into a round ball. Place on a baking sheet or plate and put into the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Crush the corn flakes, sprinkle with cinnamon. Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the corn flakes and saute for about 3 minutes or until the corn flakes are toasted.
- In a small bowl combine the white sugar and remaining cinnamon.
- Take the ice cream from the freezer, roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then coat with the toasted corn flakes. It's easiest to set the ice cream down and press the crumbs into the ice cream.
- Top with hot fudge, whipped cream and cherry.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Recipe first published June 16, 2016. Updated June 5, 2020 with new images, video and information.