Mexican Fried Ice Cream. An easy to make Mexican Fried Ice Cream. All the flavors of the classic without the actual frying!! Crisp cinnamon coating surrounds cold and creamy ice cream. Perfect individual desserts for summer!
Easy Mexican Fried Ice Cream. Having fried ice cream is a treat usually reserved for going out to eat at the local Mexican restaurants. Making authentic FRIED ice cream at home can be kind of messy. Which is where this EASY to make NOT TRULY FRIED version comes in.
How to Make Fried Ice Cream at home:
- Scoop the ice cream (you can use any flavor you like! Vanilla is a traditional flavor). Form the scoops into nice round ball shapes and place on a cookie sheet.
- Freeze the ice cream balls. This will help them hold their shape.
- Crush corn flakes. I have had a lot of people comment and message that they have made this with Cinnamon Toast cereals also and it’s always a big hit!
- Toast the cereal in a skillet with some butter and ground cinnamon.
- Remove the ice cream and roll in a cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Coat the ice cream with the toasted cereal.
- Top with chocolate, whipped cream and cherries.
Can this be made in advance?
Yes they can! I try to keep the ice cream balls frozen and coat with the toasted cereal just before serving. However, you can prepare them ahead of time and have them in the freezer. Just wait to add any toppings like chocolate sauce or whipped cream until you serve.
- Shape the ice cream into the ball form and then re-freeze for at least 3 hours.
- When handling the ice cream to put the coating on, wear plastic gloves, it will help prevent the ice cream from melting due to the heat from your hands
- Instead of rolling the ice cream in the crumb coating, it’s easier to set the ice cream there and press the coating on using your hands.
More Dessert Recipes to try:
- Cinnamon Tortilla Rollups
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Rolls
- Tres Leches Cake
- Fresas con Crema
- Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
Easy Mexican Fried Ice Cream
- 4 large scoops ice cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Whipped Cream
- Hot fudge sauce
- Scoop the ice cream and shape into a round ball. Place on a baking sheet or plate and put into the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Crush the corn flakes, sprinkle with cinnamon. Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the corn flakes and saute for about 3 minutes or until the corn flakes are toasted.
- In a small bowl combine the white sugar and remaining cinnamon.
- Take the ice cream from the freezer, roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then coat with the toasted corn flakes. It's easiest to set the ice cream down and press the crumbs into the ice cream.
- Top with hot fudge, whipped cream and cherry.
Recipe first published June 16, 2016. Updated June 5, 2020 with new images, video and information.