This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Indulge in the fresh and tangy flavor of Cilantro Lime Crema made from sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic. Perfect for tacos, salads, or as a dip, this easy-to-make sauce will elevate your Mexican meals with its creamy texture and fresh flavors.
About this Cilantro Lime Crema
This cream sauce packs a punch of authentic and lively flavors that can enhance the taste of any dish. It’s a breeze to prepare and can be stored conveniently in the fridge. Simply blend cilantro, lime, sour cream, and some garlic, and you’ll have a creamy and tangy sauce that’s ready to go.
Whip up a batch of this delectable sauce and keep it handy for future use. It’s a perfect substitute for plain sour cream or Mexican crema, and goes well with tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and more.
- Sour Cream: the creamy, tangy base of the sauce.
- Cilantro: gives a fresh, herbaceous flavoring and a natural light green coloring.
- Lime: bright, citrus taste by using both the zest and the juice.
- Garlic: use one clove of garlic or more to taste, plus check out our list of Garlic Substitutes if needed.
- Salt: brings out all of the other flavors.
How to Make
- Blend: add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Store: pour cream sauce into a jar, seal and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Will keep for up to 2 weeks.
What is Crema?
Mexican Crema is a condiment that boasts a creamy texture and slight tanginess, similar to sour cream. There are various forms of Crema available, as this Mexican sour cream substitute can be infused with a range of flavors such as lime, cilantro, chipotle peppers, red peppers, avocado, or an assortment of spices.
The traditional base for Mexican Crema consists of buttermilk and heavy cream, but these can be replaced with Greek yogurt, sour cream, or avocado based on your personal preference.
Substitutes & Variations
- Spice: if you want a bit of heat to this Cilantro Lime Crema you can add some roasted jalapeño.
- Yogurt: swap the sour cream for a plain yogurt if you need a lighter sauce option.
- Dairy Free: this can be made with dairy free, plant based sour cream alternative.
- Storage: store in a sealed container, jar, or squeeze bottle in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Freezer: it is not recommended to freeze this recipe.
How to Use Cilantro Lime Crema
- Tacos: this bright and fresh crema has a wonderful cooling sensation that pairs with Chicken Tinga Tacos, Healthy Cod Fish Tacos, Shrimp Tacos, and Crispy Black Bean Tacos.
- Enchiladas: add a drizzle of this creamy green sauce over your cheese enchiladas, chicken enchiladas, or beef enchiladas.
- Dip: serve as a side for dipping with Ground Beef Nachos, Quesadillas, Texas Style Nachos, or these Tex Mex Crab Cakes.
- Dressing: this versatile crema can also be used as a salad dressing for a Taco Salad.
More Crema Recipes
Cilantro Lime Crema
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.
- Blend until sauce is smooth and creamy.
- If sauce is too thick, add a splash of milk or water to thin it out.
- Taste and add additional cilantro, garlic, lime or salt to taste.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.