Baked Chicken Quesadillas. Creamy and cheese, these sheet pan baked chicken quesadillas are perfect for a family dinner or for feeding a crowd! Loaded with tender bits of chicken, melty cheese, and all coated with a taco seasoned sour cream sauce.
I am so proud to have partnered with H-E-B to kick of an uplifting initiative that is near and dear to my heart – #TexansHelpingTexans. During this time, I’m committed to sharing easy recipes for the family! As always, all opinions expressed in this post are mine. Thank you for continuing to support the brands that support House of Yumm <3
Quesadillas are the perfect family dinner, or appetizer to set out for a crowd. Baking them, not only makes the process quick and easy, it’s the BEST way to get everyone fed while the quesadillas are all still warm! No more making them one at a time, just load up a sheet pan and get it all done at once. A thin coat of oil on the tortillas helps to ensure they bake up nice and crisp.
To help make this recipe quick and easy, pre-shredded chicken helps! Rotisserie chicken is a great option. Or you can make your own batch of shredded chicken, instructions will be included in the recipe card below.
How to make Baked Quesadillas:
- Prepare the filling: for this recipe we’re using shredded chicken, cheese, sour cream and a homemade taco seasoning. Stir this all together.
- Spread filling into tortillas: flour tortillas are perfect for making quesadillas. Spread the filling on one half of the tortilla, then fold the tortilla over so the filling is sandwiched in between. Make sure to press the tortilla down to help ensure the tortilla doesn’t bend up while cooking.
- Oil: brush oil onto the baking pan, or parchment paper, this will help coat the bottom of the tortilla, then brush oil onto the tops of the quesadillas. This helps make a flakey, perfectly cooked tortilla for a quesadilla.
- Bake: bake at 425℉ for 15-17 minutes.
One of the best things about these baked chicken quesadillas is that you can load them up with any and all of your favorites!
- Protein: easily switch up the meat in this recipe. Some ideas would be to use Mexican brisket, Barbacoa, or Carnitas. Or you could easily swap the chicken for veggies instead.
- Cheese: use a pepper jack or mild cheddar to suit your tastes.
- Veggies: add some diced bell pepper, black beans, corn, cilantro, jalapeño, or other veggies of choice.
If you see the tortillas start to bend up while baking, simply open the oven and press the tortillas down back into the filling using a wooden spoon. Be careful!
Baked Chicken Quesadillas
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, can sub with vegetable, canola, or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 flour tortillas, (6 inch size)
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, brush the paper with a small amount of the oil, and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, sour cream, and spices. Stir to combine.
- Add the shredded cheese and mix until combined.
- Working one tortilla at a time, spread about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture on one half of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla over. Firmly press the tortilla together so that the top sticks to the chicken mixture in the middle (this helps with baking). Continue this process until all tortillas and chicken mixture are used.
- Lay the folded tortillas on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of the tortillas with the remaining oil.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until tops of the tortillas are turning golden. If during the middle of baking you see that the tortillas are bending up, carefully press them back down using a spoon or spatula.