This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This smoky Chipotle Crema is creamy and spicy, the perfect zesty topping for tacos, enchiladas, burritos and more. This Mexican inspired sauce comes together in less than 5 minutes with only a handful of ingredients.
About this Chipotle Crema
This chipotle crema is spicy and zesty, made with a combination of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, lime juice and sour cream or crema. It can be drizzled or dolloped onto your favorite Mexican or Tex Mex meals. It can also double as a dipping sauce! It has a mild spice, soothing cream, with a tangy lime flavoring. Some of the reasons we love this Mexican inspired sauce are:
- Adjustable spice level
- Easy to Make
- Bold and Flavorful
- Good on Everything!
- Sour Cream or Crema: either can be used in this recipe, you can also use homemade crema.
- Chipotle Peppers: use the canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, adjust as needed to get desired spice level.
- Lime: use freshly squeezed lime juice, add more to taste as needed.
- Garlic: use fresh garlic cloves, or if needed read about our favorite garlic substitutes.
How to Make
- Blend: add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Store: pour cream sauce into a jar, seal and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Variations and Substitutions
- Spice Level: want a milder chipotle crema? Only use a tablespoon of the adobo sauce and don’t include any of the chiles. Want it spicier? Add more chiles and extra sauce to crema. Be sure to taste and add as needed so as not to make it overwhelming. If you are wanting a milder crema, check out our Smoky Red Pepper Crema recipe.
- Crema: if you have the time, make your own Homemade Crema to blend with the chiles. Or you can substitute the sour cream for store-bought crema.
- Chipotle Peppers: if you are unable to find the canned peppers, you can substitute with chipotle powder, 1 canned chipotle pepper = 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder.
Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce are canned chiles sold in most markets in the Hispanic or Mexican aisle. The can includes both chiles and sauce, the chiles are smoked and dried jalapeños, and the adobo sauce is a purée of tomato, vinegar, garlic, and other spices.
Since this recipe won’t use the entire can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, you can freeze the leftovers. Store in a freezer safe container and thaw when ready to use.
- Storage: store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: it is not recommended to freeze this recipe due to the sour cream, the texture will be impacted.
How to Use Chipotle Crema
- Tacos: this Chipotle sauce is the perfect topping to drizzle on tacos like these Fish Tacos, Shrimp Tacos, Black Bean Tacos, and Ground Beef Tacos.
- Dip: use this spicy sauce for dipping veggies, Tex Mex roasted potatoes, Tex Mex Crab Cakes, Quesadillas, or Corn Fritters.
- Spoon it on: taco salads, burrito bowls, or sheet pan nachos.
More Crema Recipes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce canned
- ¼ teaspoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients needed for the sauce to a food processor.
- Blend until sauce is smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust as needed.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.