The best and only Mexican Rice recipe that you will ever need!
What’s the best part about going out to eat at a Mexican Restaurant? Besides the endless supply of chips and the best salsa ever of course. The beans and rice!!! No meal comes without it! Usually covered in melty ooey gooey cheese. The beans and rice are made to perfection not needing any unnecessary spices or additions. They’re so simple and basic. But soo good!
The rice is so simple and easy to make. Again there are no unnecessary flavors needing to be added to this dish. ]
For the rice you want to use a long grain white rice. I suppose you could use a different type of rice that you would prefer, but I’ve only made it with this kind, so the taste may come out different if you’re substituting.
The first step is to measure out the rice and to heat it over medium heat with the olive oil. Heat it up until the rice turns a bright white color. You’ll know it when you see it.
After the rice has been cooked in the oil for about 7-10 minutes. Add in the water. Always use double the amount of water that you use rice. Since this recipe uses 2 cups of rice, we will use 4 cups of water.
Stir in the bouillon. This is my preferred method for making this rice. You can also sub for tomato sauce and chicken bouillon if you prefer.
Keep the heat up on the skillet, let the rice cook and come to a boil. After the rice is boiling, then you can place the lid on the skillet, turn the heat to low and let it be for the next 20 minutes.
DO NOT REMOVE THE LID!
After the 20 minutes is up, you can remove the skillet from the heat, keep the lid on, and let it sit for another 15 minutes.
At this point, you can remove the lid and fluff up the rice. Serve and enjoy!
Check out this restaurant style salsa recipe to complete your authentic Mexican meal you’re preparing.Print
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil/vegetable oil/canola oil
- 2 cups white long grain rice
- 1/2 yellow onion cut into quarters
- 4 cups water
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons tomato bouillon
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil. Add in the onion. Cook while stirring for about 7-10 minutes, the rice will turn very white as it cooks. If the rice is browning, turn the heat down slightly.
- Pour in the water. Add in the chicken and tomato bouillon. Stir to combine. Keep the heat at medium. The water will sizzle when you pour it. Let the rice cook in the water until it starts to boil stirring occasionally. Once boiling, let the rice continue to cook 2-3 minutes. Then place the lid over the skillet.
- With the lid on the skillet, turn the heat to low and let the rice cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the rice from the heat, BUT KEEP THE LID ON.
- Keep the lid on for 15 minutes after removing from the heat. After this time, you can lift the lid and fluff the rice using a fork. Serve and enjoy.