Migas. This quick and easy Mexican breakfast recipe uses up leftover tortillas to create a flavorful breakfast skillet! Serve with fresh flour tortillas or refried beans for a complete meal!
Migas (me-guhs) is a comforting breakfast dish that is made of leftover corn tortillas, eggs, and whatever else you happen to have on hand! There’s no wrong way to prepare this dish. I have seen it made with sautéed peppers (of any kind), onion, and garlic. Cover it in salsas, serve it with refried beans, or tortillas. This breakfast recipe is perfect because it can be made with what you have on hand or leftovers.
Notes on Ingredients:
- Oil: use any kind of high smoke point oil: extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, or canola oil.
- White Corn Tortillas: these are my favorite type of tortillas to have on hand in my home, you can also use yellow corn tortillas. Avoid flour, you won’t get the end result you are expecting.
How to make Migas:
- Cut and Fry Tortillas: Cut the tortillas into strips or squares. You’ll find the dish is easier to eat if you make the cuts bite sized instead of cutting large tortilla chip size.
- Prepare the Eggs: mix the eggs with milk and seasonings.
Pro Tip: Get the tortillas as crisp as possible without burning them. They may seem too crispy, but they soften when you add in the eggs.
- Cook the Eggs: After the tortillas are crisp, pour the egg mixture into the skillet and cook until the eggs start to bubble up, gently scraping the eggs with a silicone spatula to help scramble them.
- Add the Cheese: when the eggs are partially cooked, add the shredded cheese and continue to cook while scraping, until the eggs are fully cooked, no longer runny and the cheese is melted.
How to Serve Migas:
- Serve with a side of homemade refried beans.
- Top with some Restaurant Style Salsa or Homemade Pico de Gallo.
- Or load them up in some soft corn tortillas and top with avocado and crumbled queso fresco.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- These Easy Cheese and Sausage Biscuits or Texas Sausage Kolaches are staples in Texas Donut Shops. Learn how to make your own at home!
- Make some Homemade Southern Biscuits and smother them in some Sausage Gravy for a comforting breakfast dish!
- Learn how to make the Perfect Quiche using any filling you choose!
- These Breakfast Tacos are sure to please a crowd.
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- 6 white corn tortillas, cut into bite size pieces
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 2 cups refried beans
- 4 corn/flour tortillas
- pico de gallo
- queso fresco or cotija, crumbled
- cilantro, diced
- Fry Tortillas: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the corn tortillas to the skillet and cook until crispy. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Prepare Eggs: In a medium size bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and salt and pepper as desired.
- Cook the Eggs: Pour the egg mixture into the skillet over the fried tortillas. Allow the eggs to cook, once they start bubbling, carefully scrape the eggs with a silicone spatula to scramble them.
- Add Cheese: When eggs are partially cooked, add the shredded Monterey Jack Cheese and stir to combine until cheese is melted.
- Continue cooking until the eggs are fully cooked, no longer runny.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Serve over refried beans or on corn or flour tortillas.
- Garnish with optional toppings.
Recipe first published on November 2, 2017. Updated February 19, 2021 with new images, information and video.
Photography by KJandCompany.co