These Texas Style Breakfast Tacos are the tastiest way to start the day! Soft, warm tortillas loaded up with bacon, crispy breakfast potatoes, and creamy scrambled egg. Top with your favorite salsa, Pico de Gallo, or guacamole for a breakfast the entire family will love!
All about these breakfast tacos…
Breakfast tacos are a staple in Tex Mex restaurants throughout the state of Texas. These tacos are always a hit with the family, making them at home let’s you customize the fillings and toppings to make everyone happy!
- Quick & Easy: make tacos for the entire family in less than 30 minutes!
- Switch it up: easily swap out the bacon for another protein of choice: sausage, chorizo, brisket, or simply some refried beans.
- Prep Ahead: prepare these tacos the night before, wrap in foil, then reheat in the oven until warmed through.
Notes on Some Ingredients:
- Flour Tortillas: while corn is my preference for all other tacos, flour is my favorite for breakfast tacos. You can use store bought, or make your own Homemade Flour Tortillas.
- Eggs: plan on using one scrambled egg per taco.
- Potatoes: Russet potatoes or gold potatoes will work for making the breakfast potatoes.
How to Make (step-by-step):
- Step 1 & 2: Prepare Potatoes, dice the potatoes and cook in oil with spices and seasonings until they are soft on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside.
- Step 3 & 4: Prepare the eggs and cook in a skillet while you are crisping the bacon. Cook to desired doneness for the bacon.
- Step 5: Assemble the tacos using warmed flour tortillas.
- Warm Tortillas: make sure to warm up the tortillas, they should be nice and warm and easily bendable. To heat, simply toss on a heated skillet or comal and heat both sides. Place into a tortilla warmer, or on a plate with a towel and keep the tortillas covered until ready to serve.
- Frozen Potatoes: you can use frozen potatoes to cook up for the hash browns.
- Keep Warm: if you are making several tacos to serve to the family, you can easily prepare the tacos, then wrap in foil and keep them warm in the oven until you are ready to serve everyone at the same time.
In Texas there is a variety of breakfast tacos typically available. This is one option, other options would include: Sausage & Egg, Chorizo & Egg, Brisket & Egg. Potatoes can be added to most of them.
Yes! They were invented in Austin Texas and are a staple in Tex Mex restaurants throughout the state!
More taco recipes to enjoy:
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- Grape tomatoes, sliced
- Cilantro, diced
- Heat a large skillet with the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the diced potato, add the salt and paprika. Stir to combine. Allow to cook for about 8-10 minutes (stirring only a few times to prevent sticking but allowing them to get crispy) until the potatoes are softened and slightly crispy on the outside. Remove the potatoes to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet add the bacon and allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes until crispy. Remove to a plate and dry with paper towels. Cut slices in half.
- In a medium size bowl beat the eggs with the milk and mix in the salt and pepper.
- Spray a small skillet with non-stick spray. Pour in the egg mixture. Stir occasionally while the eggs cook to scramble them.
- Layer the tortillas with the breakfast potatoes, bacon and scrambled eggs. Top with any additional toppings. Serve warm and enjoy.
- Prep Ahead: prepare these tacos the night before, wrap in foil, then reheat in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Dairy Free option: use a DF milk when making the eggs and ensure that your tortillas are DF.
- Gluten Free option: use GF tortillas.
Recipe first published on April 13, 2018, updated February 18, 2022 with new images and video. Recipe remains unchanged.
Photography by the talented @KJandCompany.co