Apple Cinnamon Muffins. These muffins are loaded with chunks of apple and topped with a brown sugar, cinnamon streusel. Perfect way to start your day!
I am so ready for fall baking. Apples, pumpkin, pecan. It’s my favorite season. And not just because of the foods. Although I’m a huge fan of the soups and chilis too.
The temperatures cool, the leaves change color. To this day I can remember the smell of fall while growing up. The smell of people burning all their leaves. I don’t know if anyone is allowed to do that anymore. But growing up in a super small town that no one other than the 3000 of us who lived there had ever heard of; we used to burn our yard trimmings and leaves that we raked up.
We also had an apple tree in the backyard that would produce enough apples for my mom to make loaf after loaf of apple bread, apple pie, and still have bags of apples for us to snack on and eat for as long as they lasted. The smell of baking apples always makes me think of my mom’s apple bread.
Anyway, as you’ve probably already noticed, I’m not here sharing an apple bread recipe. Perhaps I will soon. Today it’s apple muffins. Muffins that are sweetened with brown sugar. Seasoned with cinnamon. Topped with a delicious streusel crumble. And of course bursting with chunks of apple.
Is there any better way to start the day than with one of these warm and smothered in melty butter?? I suppose you could forgo the butter if you need to. Personally I feel that it completes the deal.
These muffins are super moist, the secret? I use greek yogurt. I guess that’s not really a secret anymore is it? But it does make for some incredible muffins. If you don’t have any on hand you could always substitute with sour cream. They turn out just as amazing. I keep meaning to remember to grab maybe an apple cinnamon greek yogurt to use instead of plain. If you happen to try that, let me know how they turn out!
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your muffin tin either by using a non-stick spray or using cupcake liners.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium size bowl and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl beat together the egg and the sugars until fully combined. Add in the melted butter stirring until combined. Then while stirring add in the greek yogurt and cinnamon.
- Add half the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Add in the second half and repeat.
- Fold in the chopped apples until they are evenly disbursed in the batter.
- In a separate bowl combine the ingredients for the topping. Mix together with a fork until you have medium size crumbles.
- Fill the muffin tin to about 3/4 full and sprinkle with the streusel topping. Lightly press into the top of the muffin so that they bake into the muffin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 22 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes then remove from the muffin tin to continue cooling.