Mexican Picadillo (Beef & Potato)
Mexican Picadillo. This quick and easy dinner recipe comes together with minimal ingredients. Ground beef and potatoes are simmered in a tomato sauce. Serve this dish up with some rice and fresh flour tortillas for a complete meal.
What is Mexican Picadillo?
A classic, nostalgia inducing meal with ground beef and potatoes. This is one of those dishes that is so easy to customize, and everyone has their own way of making it. It’s pure comfort food. This recipe is a basic version. With some ideas of ways you can easily customize it to make it just right for you and your family.
How to make:
- Cook the ground beef most of the way, doesn’t need to be fully cooked.
- Add in diced bell pepper, onion, and potatoes. Continue to cook over medium heat.
- Stir in tomatoes, beef broth and spices. Cook with lid on for 10 minutes.
- Cook an additional 10 minutes with the lid off. Most of the liquid will be absorbed or evaporate.
- Swap the tomato sauce for 4 Roma tomatoes blended or finely diced.
- Add in peas and carrots, or other vegetable of choice.
- Use beef bouillon instead of beef broth.
- Use jalapeno or other chili instead of bell pepper for more heat.
- Add more broth/tomato sauce to make this more of a stew.
More Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add ground beef. Cook over medium heat while breaking up the meat. Cook until mostly browned, drain grease and return to heat.
- Add in diced onion, green bell pepper and potatoes. Continue to cook over medium heat until onion and peppers are softened. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in tomato sauce and beef broth. Add in seasonings: salt, pepper, cumin, and coriander. Stir to combine. Add bay leaf.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, cover and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir, and continue cooking with the lid off for an additional 10 minutes or until potatoes are softened and most of the liquid is gone.