Cinnamon Tortilla Chips. These homemade chips are sweetened with a cinnamon sugar mixture and perfect for dipping into some fruit salsa, chocolate, or some cream cheese glaze!
Homemade tortilla chips sprinkled with a cinnamon sugar mixture. These are crispy, flakey, loaded with a spicy sweetness, perfect for dessert or a sweet snack.
Best way to make cinnamon tortilla chips:
There’s two methods for making homemade tortilla chips. Frying and baking. Personally, I prefer frying. Whenever I bake chips they come out with a chewy texture. For me baked chips won’t crisp up the same as when fried.
- Fry the tortillas for about 30 seconds to a minute on each side, just until they start to turn golden brown.
- Sprinkle them immediately after removed from the oil with the cinnamon sugar mixture ensures that the cinnamon sugar will stick to the chips. If you wait too long to sprinkle them and the oil has dried up, then the cinnamon sugar will fall right off the chips.
Best tortillas to make homemade chips:
I prefer to use flour tortillas! For regular tortilla chips I love using corn tortillas. But for these dessert tortilla chips the flour gives a wonderful crispy, flakey texture.
Plus the flour tortillas have a more mild taste than corn tortillas. The corn flavor still comes through the cinnamon sugar coating. Which gives a slightly savory, sweet combination.
What to serve these Cinnamon Tortilla Chips with:
Due to being sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, these chips definitely have a dessert type taste to them. Which makes them perfectly paired with other sweet toppings. You could use any kind of dessert dip.
My personal favorites are to have them with a fruit salsa, like this strawberry mango salsa. Or a simple mixture of chopped up fruit. Other options include some chocolate sauce, a fruit sauce (like this homemade strawberry sauce) or a cream cheese glaze.
More dessert recipes to try:
Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp milk
- Pour oil into a medium size skillet and heat over medium high heat.
- Prepare the tortillas by cutting into triangles, if using corn tortillas you can cut into 6 triangles, if using 6 inch flour tortillas they’re typically a bit bigger and can get about 8.
- Prepare the cinnamon sugar by combining the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir to mix.
- Add the cut tortillas to the heated oil in batches. Fry each side for about 30 seconds until starting to brown and crispy. Then turn and fry the other side.
- When done, transfer to a plate or baking tray lined with paper towels. Once out of the oil immediately sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, continue frying the remaining tortilla until all tortilla chips are fried.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Combine all ingredients together and stir until smooth and creamy.
The recipe for Cinnamon Tortilla Chips first appeared on Food Fanatic.