This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These cinnamon sugar tortillas are a perfect snack or dessert that the entire family will love. These are so easy to make with leftover homemade flour tortillas, or even store or restaurant tortillas. Include some cream cheese glaze for drizzling or dipping to make this an extra special treat. Serve these alongside your favorite enchiladas, some birria tacos, or even a Chile Relleno as a tasty dessert.
Why Make this Recipe?
- Quick and easy dessert idea that takes only minutes to make!
- This dessert has a very similar taste to churros. And instead of serving with cream cheese glaze, feel free to serve with some fudge sauce!
- Super kid friendly recipe that can be made with leftover tortillas from dinner. You can even use tortillas from the day before if you have some still on hand.
Notes on some Ingredients:
- Flour Tortillas: use this recipe for Homemade Flour Tortillas or purchase your favorite.
- Cream Cheese & Butter: soften both to room temperature to be easily spread.
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas (step by step):
- Prepare the Cinnamon Sugar: combine the ground cinnamon and the white granulated sugar in a small bowl, stir to mix completely.
- Warm the tortillas: if they are fresh off the skillet or comal from cooking them that’s fine, but if they are cooler or room temperature warm them slightly by heating them in a skillet or on top of the burner of the oven.
- Spread with butter: spread the softened butter over the top of the warm tortilla, only one side needs to be buttered.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top of the tortilla where the butter was spread.
- Roll: turn the tortilla over and gently roll it up so that the cinnamon sugar side faces out.
- Prepare the glaze: add all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix with a hand mixer to combine. If needed add more milk or powdered sugar to get to a desired consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Personally I enjoy using leftover homemade tortillas, but these turn out wonderfully with any 6 inch flour tortillas.
This can happen with leftover tortillas, be sure to heat them up before spreading with butter and sprinkling with the cinnamon sugar, this makes it easier to roll them.
Use the included recipe for a cream cheese glaze, or serve them with a chocolate fudge sauce like you would with churros.
More Cinnamon Dessert Recipes to Try:
- If you’re looking for a more challenging recipe try out these Homemade Churros.
- OR if you prefer a softer more pillowy treat, these Sopapillas will hit the spot.
- For a fun twist on a classic these Sopapilla Cheesecake Rolls are always a hit.
- Add a sprinkle of cinnamon to the top of this Tres Leches Cake for an all time favorite!
- These Authentic Bunuelos are almost like a big cinnamon tortilla chip and a fun dessert recipe to try.
Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp milk
- Cinnamon Sugar: Add the sugar and cinnamon to a small bowl, stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat: Warm the tortillas on the stovetop (over the burner or in a medium size skillet).
- Butter: While the tortillas are warm spread one side with the butter, until the entire side is covered with melted butter.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Mix: Place all ingredients into a small mixing bowl and mix using a hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust: Add milk or powdered sugar as needed to get desired consistency.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Recipe first published on January 11, 2016. Updated on April 8, 2021 with new images, information and a video.
Beautiful photography done by the talented @KJandCompany.co