This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Cowboy Quesadilla is loaded up with a BBQ Chicken, a black bean Texas caviar and lots of fresh off the block, melty cheese! Perfect for dinner time, this dish will please the whole family!
Cowboy Quesadillas. A little bit Tex Mex, a little bit BBQ. A lot of delicious flavor. These quesadillas are loaded up with juicy BBQ chicken, a zesty black bean Texas Caviar. And lots of melty cheese. The mash up of flavors in these quesadillas make them fun and flavorful. These are quick and easy to make, perfect for family dinner, or game day snacks!
How to make Cowboy Quesadillas:
- Prepare the ingredients: shred the chicken and coat it with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Make the Texas Caviar by combining all of the ingredients and stirring together.
- Heat a flour tortilla on a large skillet, add the shredded cheese, BBQ chicken and Texas Caviar on top. Add another tortilla on top.
- When the tortilla on the bottom is crisp and golden, carefully flip over to cook the other side.
- Shredded Chicken: you can either cook and shred your own chicken, or save time and get a rotisserie chicken!
- BBQ Sauce: use your favorite.
- Black Bean Texas Caviar: I always make my own Texas caviar. For using inside of the quesadilla, I left out the avocado from this version. What you’ll need is black beans, whole kernel corn, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and white wine vinegar.
- Cheese: my favorite to use is Monterey Jack. You could use a mild cheddar, pepper jack, or other type of cheese if you prefer.;
For Best Results!
These quesadillas are best eaten fresh! The tortillas will get soggy if they are stored in the refrigerator for more than several hours. These can be made and served on a plate for a party, they will hold up just fine.
If preparing ahead of time, prepare the Texas Caviar and the chicken, store in separate bowls in the refrigerator. Then assemble and cook just before serving.
Black Bean Texas Caviar
- 1 (15 ounce) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) whole kernel corn drained
- 1 jalapeno de-seeded and membranes removed, diced
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- In a medium size bowl mix the cooked chicken with the BBQ sauce until coated. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the black beans, corn, diced jalapeño, red onion and garlic.In another bowl stir together the cilantro, vinegar, olive oil, and honey. Pour the dressing over the bean mixture. Stir to coat.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, place one tortilla down on the skillet, layer with shredded cheese, BBQ chicken, Texas Cavier. When the cheese starts to melt, add another flour tortilla on top.
- Cook 2-3 minutes, until the tortilla on the bottom is toasted and turning a golden color, it will start to feel more firm, crispy. Carefully flip the quesadilla over and cook the other tortilla. Once the cheese is fully melted and both sides of the quesadilla are golden brown and crispy remove from the skillet.
- Cut into 4 equal pieces. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Recipe was first published on May 10, 2016. Updated on January 20, 2020 with new images. Recipe remains unchanged.