Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup! This super flavorful soup is made with enchilada sauce, chunks of chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, and of course tons of cheese! The perfect warm comforting meal that will warm from the inside.
This easy to put together slow cooker meal is loaded with bold flavor, hearty chunks of meat, and lots of melty cheese. Better than any soup you will get at a restaurant and perfect for loading up with your favorite toppings!
What is Chicken Enchilada Soup?
Chicken Enchilada soup is basically all the best parts of a chicken enchilada in soup form! The base of the soup is a mixture of chicken broth and actual enchilada sauce. Hearty chunks of chicken, tomatoes, black beans and corn are usually included in this soup. But feel free to add any additional flavors you want!
Do keep in mind that adding the enchilada sauce adds a bit of heat to the soup naturally, so you may want to keep the spices and seasonings minimal.
How Do I Make Chicken Enchilada Soup?
This particular recipe is made in the slow cooker. Add chicken to the slow cooker with some chicken broth, enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and diced green chiles and let it all cook together.
Once the chicken is cooked, shred and add it back to the soup. The last ingredient added is the shredded cheese which adds a thickness and creaminess to the soup. Some recipes call for flour or masa added to the soup as well to add a thickness. I don’t particularly find it necessary though, so I didn’t add it to this recipe.
Can I Make this Recipe for Chicken Enchilada Soup on the Stovetop?
To make this Chicken Enchilada Soup on the stovetop you can start with some already cooked and shredded chicken that you can add in.
- OR you can sear the chicken in a large dutch oven for about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken. Don’t worry about cooking it all the way, because you will be adding it to cook in the soup completely in a few steps.
- Saute the veggies in a small amount of oil. Add in the enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Add the chicken back into the soup, along with all the other ingredients except for the cheese.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and let cook for about 20 minutes until the chicken is done. Chicken is fully cooked at 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the chicken to shred and return to the soup. Remove the soup from the heat prior to stirring in the shredded cheese.
More flavorful soups/chilis:
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1½ cup enchilada sauce
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.25 ounce) whole kernel corn
- 1 (7 ounce) diced green chiles
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot except for the shredded cheese.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours or HIGH heat 4-5 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred, then return to the soup.
- Add in the cheese, stir, and allow the cheese to melt for about 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the chicken to sear for 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove the chicken from the dutch oven, set aside.
- Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth and enchilada sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add in diced tomatoes, black beans, corn and diced green chiles. Add in salt and cumin.
- Return the chicken to the soup. Bring the soup to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes until soup reaches 165℉ and chicken is fully cooked. Remove the chicken, shred, then return to the soup.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Add in the shredded cheese and stir as it melts.