Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup. This EASY creamy soup tastes just like the beloved King Ranch Chicken Casserole. Loaded with cheese, juicy chunks of chicken, and tons of flavor! Simply load up the slow cooker and let this soup simmer during the day. Everyone will be waiting with bowls in hand to enjoy this one!!
Hey y’all!! I know you are waiting with your spoons to check out this recipe! King Ranch Chicken Soup?!? Whaaaat!
King Ranch Casserole is a pretty popular Texas recipe. Made with layering of chicken, cheese, tortillas. Which is pretty much what this soup is! Creamy, dreamy, cheesy, flavorful. This soup is thick and perfect for dipping chips in.
I wish I could take credit for this recipe. But it’s not mine! Want to know where it’s from??? My friend Samantha from Five Heart Home just released a fantastic cookbook, Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers. Full of easy, family-friendly recipes from scratch.
This book is amazing!! And it has now earned a permanent spot on my counter and already has food smeared on the pages. That’s a sign of a great cookbook. And Samantha is a sweetheart, fellow Texan, and seems to have a similar style to mine! Easy meals with a bit of Texan charm. So I know y’all will love her too!
More Soup Recipes:
WANT TO TRY THIS SLOW COOKER KING RANCH CHICKEN SOUP??
PIN IT to your SOUP, DINNER, or SLOW COOKER board TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!Print
This EASY creamy soup tastes just like the beloved King Ranch Chicken Casserole. Loaded with cheese, juicy chunks of chicken, and tons of flavor! Simply load up the slow cooker and let this soup simmer during the day. Everyone will be waiting with bowls in hand to enjoy this one!!
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 and 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 medium jalapeno, minced (seeds and membranes removed)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, Mexican blend or Colby Jack
- Tortilla chips for serving
- chopped fresh cilantro for serving
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute until it’s fragrant and light golden brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour and whisk continuously for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, increase the heat to a simmer and whisk continuously for several minutes, until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Add black pepper to taste and set the sauce aside.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large slow cooker . Top them with the diced tomatoes with green chiles and jalapeño and pour the sauce over the top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through but not overcooked.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, stir the cheese into the slow cooker and cover the slow cooker for the time being.
- Pull the chicken into large chunks and stir it back into the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are heated through. Stir well.
- To serve, crush the tortilla chips into a bowl and ladle the soup over the top, garnishing with extra cheese and the cilantro, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
More Recipes For You To Enjoy: