White Chicken Chili. This hearty chili is loaded up with chunks of juicy chicken and has a smooth mild flavor with just a hint of heat.
Made with shredded chicken, white beans, diced green Chiles and flavorful spices. If you have shredded chicken on hand already this recipe can be put together start to finish in ONLY 30 MINUTES!
How do you make white chicken chili?
This Chicken Chili Recipe can come together on the stove-top in 30 minutes or in a slow cooker !
The base for this chili is chicken broth as opposed to a typical tomato or dark red chile base for a red chili. The broth is seasoned with the addition of onion, garlic, jalapeno and green chiles. Plus there’s a hint of cumin added for extra flavor.
How to make Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe:
I love how simple this recipe is and it’s definitely a lighter version of many chicken chili recipes available. This recipe is only thickened by blending some of the beans!
However, if you’re looking for a Creamy Chicken Chili Recipe I have one on my site that is based off this recipe with some modifications to make it epically creamy!
How to make Crockpot Chicken Chili:
- Place the chicken into a 6 quart slow cooker (this is the one I use!—affiliate link).
- Pour in the chicken broth, diced onion, minced garlic, chopped jalapeno, white beans, diced green chiles and spices.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 HOURS of HIGH for 5-6 HOURS.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return to the slow cooker .
- Top with cilantro and lime juice.
Tips to save time making this White Chicken Chili:
Use rotisserie chicken! Or buy pre-shredded chicken from the market.
If Shredding Your Own Chicken this is my preferred method:
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Pour some olive oil into a hot skillet and cook the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Then pour some chicken broth into the skillet, just enough to cover the bottom of the skillet and go maybe half way up the chicken breast.
- Place a lid on the pan and let the chicken cook into the broth on medium heat for about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and the chicken will easily shred.
What kind of beans do I use for White Bean Chicken Chili:
- Great Northern Beans
- Navy Beans
Both are great options. They both have subtle, mild flavors.
How to Store chicken chili:
This chili keeps well in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat in a microwave safe dish or on the stovetop in a saucepan.
How to freeze white chicken chili:
- If you made a large batch to save you can definitely freeze this chili. Simply allow it to come to room temperature.
- Pour the chicken chili into a freezer resealable bag.
- Lay it flat on a baking sheet or flat surface in the freezer.
- Then once frozen you can easily stack the bags in the freezer.
- To thaw, remove the chili from the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop.
Other hearty soup recipes that will warm from the inside:Print
This white chicken chili is loaded up with chunks of juicy chicken and has a smooth mild flavor with just a hint of heat.
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 jalapeno chopped
- 2 cups shredded chicken, or 3 chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 15 ounce cans white beans (drained)
- 11 ounces of diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Cook onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in the shredded chicken and the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Drain two cans of beans and add to the pot. Drain the third can of beans and using a food processor blend the beans until they are a thick paste. Add this to the pot.
- Add in the chopped jalapeno, green chilies and the seasonings.
- Cover and let the pot simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Garnish the salsa with toppings such as cheese, sour cream, cilantro, jalapenos, salsa. And enjoy!
- Calories: 388
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Protein: 37 g
- Cholesterol: 47 mg