This easy Chicken Chili is a healthy and comforting one pot meal that comes together in just over 30 minutes. Loaded up with bits of tender chicken and white beans, this meal is naturally gluten free and is a perfect weeknight meal the entire family will love!
All about this Chicken Chili…
- One Pot: clean up is super easy with this recipe since we cook it all in one large pot!
- Quick and Easy: as written this recipe comes together in just over 30 minutes, if you’re needing to cut some time, use pre-cooked chicken and this can be made in less than 30 minutes for a quick and easy family dinner idea.
- Hearty: loaded up with chunks of chicken and beans, this chili is hearty enough to be filling all on it’s own. But as always I recommend serving with a piece of Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread.
Notes on Some Ingredients:
- Chicken: this recipe calls for using raw chicken that is seared and cooked, if you are wanting this dinner to come together in less than 30 minutes you can grab a rotisserie chicken or have some pre-cooked, shredded chicken to add in.
- Jalapeño: in addition to using diced Green Chiles we are sautéing a fresh jalapeño also for some mild heat. If needed this ingredient can be omitted.
- Beans: Great northern beans are a wonderful choice for this chili recipe. Use canned or presoak and cook dried beans if needed.
How to make (step-by-step):
- Step 1: Sear the chicken. We’re not concerned with cooking the chicken, just getting a good sear on it and getting some chicken flavoring into our pot for our broth.
- Step 2: Saute the onion, jalapeño and garlic.
- Step 3: Blend one-third of the beans to create a paste, this will thicken the chili and make it creamy.
- Step 4: Add in all remaining ingredients: beans, green chiles, bean paste, seasonings and chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook about 15-20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked to 165 degrees. Shred the chicken and add back to the chili to cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Thickness: Blending the beans: this adds a thickness to the chili. If you want to thicken more you can blend or mash more of the beans.
- Control the heat: this recipe uses a combination of jalapeño, chili powder and paprika for heat. I would classify this as a mild chili, however if you are concerned about the amount of heat you can leave out the jalapeño or cut back on the chili powder. On the other side, if you want more heat, you can add more jalapeño or even use a Serrano pepper if desired.
- Slow Cooker: this recipe can easily be adapted to be made in the slow cooker. Instructions for this are included in the recipe card below.
This recipe uses blended white beans for a thickener. Other options would be to create a slurry using cornstarch, flour or arrowroot. Or remove the lid and let the chili simmer, this will evaporate excess liquid.
Yes! This chili keeps well in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other hearty soup recipes:
- Secretly Heatlhy Potato Soup
- Taco Soup
- Turkey Chili
- Chile Relleno Soup
- Leftover Ham Bone Soup
- Potato Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½-2 lbs chicken, boneless and skinless
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds & membranes removed, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth, low or no sodium
- 3 (15 ounce cans) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (7 ounce can) diced green chilies
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- sliced jalapeno
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- Sear Chicken: heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper, cook for 2-3 minutes on each side to sear the chicken. Remove and set aside.
- Saute Veggies: Add the onion and jalapeno to the pot and cook over medium heat until softened and the onion is translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Create Broth: Pour in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Puree Beans: Blend one-third of the beans using an immersion blender or a food processor. Add the beans to the pot and stir to combine.
- Season: Stir in the diced green chiles and seasonings (salt, cumin, paprika, cayenne and dried oregano).
- Simmer: Add the chicken back into the pot, bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low, let cook for 15-20 minutes until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shred Chicken: Remove the chicken, shred (or chop) and return to the chili. Let the chili cook in the chili for an additional 5 minutes. .
- Serve and add toppings as desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place the chicken into a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Pour in the chicken broth, diced onion, minced garlic, chopped jalapeno, white beans, diced green chiles and spices.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 HOURS of HIGH for 5-6 HOURS.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return to the slow cooker. Top with cilantro and lime juice.
- Chicken: for this dinner to come together in less than 30 minutes, grab a rotisserie chicken or have some pre-cooked, shredded chicken to add in.
- Jalapeño: If needed this ingredient can be omitted. If more heat is desired can substitute with a Serrano pepper.
- Beans: Great northern beans are a wonderful choice for this chili recipe. Use canned or presoak and cook dried beans if needed. Could substitute for Cannellini beans if needed.
- Storage: store in sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat in a microwave safe dish or on the stovetop in a saucepan.
- Freezing: Allow chili to come to room temperature. Pour into a freezer safe container or bag and place in freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove the chili from the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop.
Photography done by the talented @KJandCompany.co
Such an excellent chicken recipe. Looks so tasty and healthy! I’m saving this recipe to give it a try. Thanks, Serene!
chicken chili works just as well for me as beef chili, really any kind, they all have ingredients that I love, and like that this features green chilis, a nice pair for chicken, thank you
Great! Look so attractive. I will try this soon!
This was perfect for a cool night on the east coast! Loved it!!! Thank you!
Looks so tempting! Definitely gonna try soon!!
Saw you on Time to Sparkle. This looks delicious! I love that it is so quick and simple too! Going to pin and try. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much Jill!! This is one of my absolute favorite things to make! And its so easy to change it up a little to make it just how you like it! Enjoy 🙂