This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy Chicken Chili is a healthy and comforting one pot meal that comes together in just over 30 minutes. Loaded up with bits of tender chicken and white beans, this white chili is a perfect weeknight meal the entire family will love!
Why I Love This Chicken Chili
- One Pot: Clean up is super easy since we cook everything in one large pot.
- Quick and Easy: As written, this recipe comes together in just over 30 minutes. To cut some time, you can use a rotisserie chicken.
- Hearty: Loaded up with chunks of chicken and beans, this chili is hearty enough to be filling all on its own. But as always, I recommend serving with a piece of Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread.
- Warm & Cozy: This chili will warm you up from the inside! Just like our roasted red pepper soup and our easy chili recipe!
Chicken Chili Ingredients Needed
How to make Chicken Chili
Sear the chicken. We’re not concerned with cooking the chicken, just getting a good sear on the meat and some chicken flavoring into our pot for our broth. Next, saute the onion, jalapeño and garlic.
Blend one-third of the beans to create a paste, this will thicken the chili and make it creamy.
Add in all remaining ingredients: beans, green chiles, bean paste, seasonings and chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook about 15-20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked to 165 degrees. Shred the chicken and add back to the chili to cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Heat: Control the amount of heat to make this suit your needs. Swap out the jalapeño for a poblano or green bell pepper for less heat. Or add a Serrano pepper for more heat.
- Slow Cooker: You can make this recipe in the slow cooker. Instructions for this are included in the recipe card below.
- More Vegetables: Add extra vegetables including mushrooms, sweet potato, butternut squash, zucchini, squash, or carrots.
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. This chili stores nicely and works as a great make-ahead meal.
- Freezer: Store in an airtight freezer safe container or bag for up to 3 months. Remove to the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
- Reheating: Pour the cold chicken chili into a saucepan and heat on the stovetop over medium heat for about 10 minutes until it’s warmed.
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½-2 lbs chicken boneless and skinless
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno seeds & membranes removed, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth low or no sodium
- 3 (15 ounce cans) great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (7 ounce can) diced green chilies
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- sliced jalapeno
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- Sear Chicken: heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper, cook for 2-3 minutes on each side to sear the chicken. Remove and set aside.
- Saute Veggies: Add the onion and jalapeno to the pot and cook over medium heat until softened and the onion is translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Create Broth: Pour in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Puree Beans: Blend one-third of the beans using an immersion blender or a food processor. Add the beans to the pot and stir to combine.
- Season: Stir in the diced green chiles and seasonings (salt, cumin, paprika, cayenne and dried oregano).
- Simmer: Add the chicken back into the pot, bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low, let cook for 15-20 minutes until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shred Chicken: Remove the chicken, shred (or chop) and return to the chili. Let the chili cook in the chili for an additional 5 minutes. .
- Serve and add toppings as desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place the chicken into a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Pour in the chicken broth, diced onion, minced garlic, chopped jalapeno, white beans, diced green chiles and spices.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 HOURS of HIGH for 5-6 HOURS.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return to the slow cooker. Top with cilantro and lime juice.
- Chicken: for this dinner to come together in less than 30 minutes, grab a rotisserie chicken or have some pre-cooked, shredded chicken to add in.
- Jalapeño: If needed this ingredient can be omitted. If more heat is desired can substitute with a Serrano pepper.
- Beans: Great northern beans are a wonderful choice for this chili recipe. Use canned or presoak and cook dried beans if needed. Could substitute for Cannellini beans if needed.
- Storage: store in sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat in a microwave safe dish or on the stovetop in a saucepan.
- Freezing: Allow chili to come to room temperature. Pour into a freezer safe container or bag and place in freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove the chili from the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Recipe published in 2014. Updated October 2021 and October 2023.
Photography done by the talented @KJandCompany.co