This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This mint margarita is the ultimate summer cocktail, a refreshing blend of zesty lime, tequila, and fresh mint leaves for the perfect balance of tangy, minty, and delightful flavors. This refreshing cocktail is a must-try for hot days and outdoor gatherings.
Why You’ll Love this Mint Margarita
- Refreshing minty twist: Adding fresh mint leaves elevates the traditional margarita to a new level of refreshment, providing a cool and invigorating flavor.
- Complexity: Mint brings a delightful herbaceous note to the margarita, adding depth and complexity.
- Perfect for summer: A mint margarita is ideal for sipping during warm weather or outdoor gatherings. Its cooling properties and classic margarita elements create a delightful drink that captures the essence of summer.
Ingredients in a Mint Margarita
- Mint Leaves: Get plenty of fresh mint leaves for muddling in the drink and also for a garnish.
- Limes: freshly squeezed juice is always best and has no added sweeteners.
- Tequila: our preference is to use a silver or blanco tequila.
- Orange Liqueur: Either Triple Sec or Cointreau are popular options.
- Agave: This adds a bit of sweetness to balance the tart flavors of the lime, you can sub this with simple syrup.
How to Make a Mint Margarita
- Muddle the mint leaves in a cocktail shaker.
- Add the other ingredients with some ice and shake. This will mix the drink and chill it at the same time.
- Pour the drink out into a glass with a salted or sugared rim, use the strainer from the cocktail shaker to remove the mint leaves from the drink.
- Fruit: As you’re muddling the mint, include fresh strawberries, blackberries, pineapple, mango, or watermelon to create a refreshing and fruity mint flavor combination.
- Cucumber: Another refreshing ingredient that would pair nicely with this summer cocktail is cucumber. Add some while muddling, and then add some slices to the finished drink.
- Spicy: Add some heat for a spicy, cool flavor combo by adding fresh jalapeno slices.
- Coconut: Increase the refreshment and get extra hydration by adding coconut water to your drink.
How to Serve
If you’re planning on serving mint margaritas at a party it’s easy to prepare a pitcher ahead of time. Having a pitcher of margaritas makes it easy to serve several people at one time. To prepare a pitcher multiply the amounts called for in the recipe.
For a pitcher (10 Drinks)
- 2 cups tequila
- 2 cups triple sec
- 1 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2/3 cup agave
- 30-40 mint leaves
- Make Ahead: If preparing a pitcher of drinks ahead of time for a party, leave out the ice from the pitcher, this way the drink doesn’t become watered down as it sits. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to serve, then pour into cups with ice.
More Margarita Recipes
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 1 ounce lime juice freshly squeezed, approx 1 lime
- 1½ ounces silver tequila
- 1½ ounces triple sec
- ½ ounce agave can sub with a simple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- lime wedges
- mint leaves
- limes sliced
- Add the mint leaves into a cocktail shaker and muddle gently (lightly mash) 4 to 5 times.
- Add the lime juice, tequila, triple sec, and agave into the cocktail shaker.
- Top with 4-5 cubes of ice. Shake the drink until chilled and mixed.
- Prepare a glass by running a lime wedge along a portion of the rim and dipping into coarse margarita salt.
- Add ice cubes, or crushed ice to the prepared glass.
- Pour the drink into the glass, straining to hold back the muddled mint leaves.
- Garnish with extra mint leaves and lime slices.
- cocktail shaker
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography by the talented ModernFarmhouseEats.com