Classic Margarita Recipe. Enjoy the refreshing taste of this classic margarita made with simple ingredients. No mix required! This simple margarita recipe is sure to become your favorite!
Made with fresh lime juice, agave to sweeten, and a combination of tequila and triple sec. This cocktail is easy to make at home!
How Do You Make A Classic Margarita?
- Prepare your glass by taking a wedge of lime, running it along the rim of the glass, then dip the glass into salt or sugar.
- Add some ice to your cocktail shaker. This will make your drink nice and cold.
- Combine the ingredients into the cocktail shaker. Pour in the tequila, triple sec, and fresh lime juice.
- Give it a shake!
- Taste and add sweetener as desired. Instructions for a simple syrup or agave follow.
- Add some ice to your prepared glass and pour! Keep the strainer on your cocktail shaker so that the drink is strained while you pour it in.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
What Kind of Alcohol is in a Margarita?
There are two types of alcohol in a classic margarita. Tequila and an orange liquor. The most common ones used are Cointreau and Triple Sec.
For the tequila you can use any type that you have on hand or enjoy. Typically a silver tequila, which is the clear version is what is called for in most recipes.
You can use the gold version of tequila as well. Either one will work in this particular recipe, it’s more about which type you prefer.
How Do You Make a Skinny Margarita?
This recipe is basically a skinny margarita. We’re using agave, which is a natural sweetener, to sweeten instead of making a simple syrup out of sugar. Which means that this IS a skinny margarita, so go ahead and indulge and enjoy.
Agave is sold in most markets in the baking aisle with the other sweeteners. If you are unable to find any you can always make a simple syrup at home using regular white sugar. There’s instructions on this post for how to make margaritas with real fruit.
- Tequila– silver or reposado are traditionally used in margaritas. However, you can use any type of tequila that you enjoy.
- Orange Liquor- either Triple Sec or Cointreau are good options.
- Lime juice– fresh squeezed is the best way to go!
- Simple syrup or Agave– this creates a sweeter margarita. It is optional, you can enjoy a margarita without it, but I much prefer my cocktails to have a bit of sweetness to balance the tart punch of the lime juice.
- Kosher Salt or Sugar– another optional ingredient. Use either to rim your glass.
How to make a Frozen Margarita:
If you want to make a classic frozen margarita I have instructions in this post: How to Make Margaritas Using Real Fruit! There’s instructions for how to make frozen margaritas using limes, strawberries or mango.
What to Serve with Margaritas:
- Chips and Salsa, Guacamole, or Queso
- Homemade Bean Dip
- Enchiladas: Tex Mex Cheese Enchiladas, Authentic Beef Enchiladas, Chorizo Enchiladas
- Tacos: Ground Beef, Chicken, Chicken Tinga, Carnitas, Barbacoa
Love margaritas?! Here’s some more margarita recipes:
Plus make sure you check out this easy recipe for a Classic Mojito!
- 1 ounce lime juice, approximately 1 lime
- 1 ½ ounces triple sec
- 1 ½ ounces tequila*
- ½ ounce agave, can sub with simple syrup*
- ⅛ tsp coarse salt
- lime wedges
- Combine the ingredients in a drink shaker already filled with ice, or a jar or glass if you don't have one.
- Shake, or stir if needed to mix the ingredients together.
- Rub a lime wedge over the rim of the glass and dip into coarse salt.
- Add ice into the glass
- Pour into a glass over ice.
- Garnish with a lime wedge on the edge.
- Serve immediately and enjoy