This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Michelada. This spicy Mexican beer with tomato and lime juice is the perfect summer drink!
Have you had a Michelada before? It’s a Mexican beer that is mixed with Clamato juice, or tomato juice, lime juice, hot sauce, and assorted spices. There are many different ways to prepare this drink throughout the region of Mexico and in the US. To clarify the different types of beer cocktails you might see most often:
- Chelada: a simple, non-spicy drink with beer, lime juice, and salt.
- Michelada: a spicy drink with beer, lime, tomato juice or Clamato, and hot sauce.
How to make a Michelada:
- Prepare the Clamato juice: only if using homemade! Here’s my Clamato juice recipe. I highly recommend it, you get all the flavor and none of the ingredients you don’t want.
- Prepare mugs: rub a lime wedge on the rim of the glass and dip into a mix of coarse salt and Tajin, or chili powder.
- Mix together juices and pour in beer.
- Taste and adjust. If more hot sauce is needed, add some in. Want some more lime juice? Add it in.
- Sea Salt and Tajin: Tajin is a chili seasoning that can be found at most markets. It can also be substituted with chili powder. Coarse salt is best for rimming the cups.
- Clamato Juice: this is a mixture of tomato and clam juice and is what is commonly used in Micheladas and also in shrimp cocktails. If needed you can substitute with regular tomato juice.
- Lime: freshly squeezed lime juice is the best. Start with a lower amount and add as desired.
- Hot sauce: use your favorite! Some great options are Cholula, Tapatio, or Valentinas.
- Worcestershire & Soy Sauce: both add savory flavors. Add as desired or leave out if preferred.
- Beer: Some suggestions to use include:
- Corona Extra
- Modelo Especial
Again, there are so many ways to make this drink. It’s all about getting the amounts that YOU prefer. Some other ideas that I have seen used when making Micheladas:
- Olive Juice
- Chamoy (adds a sweetness)
- Sparkling water (sub out the beer to make a Virgin Michelada!)
- Lemon juice (can use either lemon or lime or a combination)
More Drink Recipes:
Michelada – Spicy Mexican Beer Cocktail
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tsp tajin
- ¼ cup lime juice (start with 2 tbsp add as needed)
- ½-¾ cup clamato juice
- 4 drops hot sauce
- 4 drops worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) Mexican beer
- In a bowl or on a small plate combine the salt and tajin. Rub a lime wedge along the rim of the glass. Dip the rim of the glass into the tajin mixture.
- Add ice to the glass.
- Pour the lime juice, clamato juice, hot sauce, worcesterhire, and beer. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust as needed.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
the drink tastes amazing