This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The easiest cookie recipe ever! These Chocolate Chip Icebox Cookies are soft, buttery, and loaded with chocolate chips. Drizzle with a little extra chocolate for the ultimate cookie treat. These will disappear fast!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Icebox Cookies:
- To start make sure you’re using room temperature butter, it’s easier to mix together when softened and not cold from the fridge. Mix with sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Add in an egg. Then mix with the flour.
- The dough will seem dry and crumbly. At this point you will need to mix the cookie dough with your hands. You will notice how soft it is. Even though it looks crumbly, a quick mix with your hands will press the dough together very easily.
- Then you can fold in the chocolate chips to the dough.
My favorite thing about this dough, is that you can easily press it together into a roll with some plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator. Rolling it up with plastic wrap is the easiest way to accomplish this. You could also roll the dough out, or press it into a cake pan and bake it, or cut it into bar shapes, for cookie bars.
But having a roll of cookie dough ready to go in the refrigerator makes me feel prepared for life, and also allows me to only bake what I need when I want it.
This chocolate chip cookie dough can be easily frozen. Simply wrap the cookie dough tightly in plastic wrap. Place it in a plastic freezer bag. Then place in freezer. When ready to use, remove the cookie dough from the freezer, allow to sit out at room temperature for several minutes until easily able to be cut through and bake according to directions.
Tools that I used for this recipe (affiliate links)
Other cookie recipes to try:
- Thick Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Butter Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- Banana Split Cookies
- Brown Butter Toffee & Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Icebox Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl add the room temperature butter, sugar, and salt. Beat or mix together until combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and egg. Mix to combine.
- Stir in the all purpose flour. Press the dough together with your hands. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Place the cookie dough on the plastic wrap. Using the plastic wrap, roll the dough into a long round shape. Roll it against the counter to get the dough compact and round. Make sure the cookie dough is completely wrapped in the plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
- Chill the cookie dough for at least 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap. Using a large knife slice the cookie dough into ½ inch rounds.
- Place the shortbread cookie rounds on a large baking sheet that is lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Press the edges of the cookies in to smooth out from cutting.
- Bake the cookies for about 12-14 minutes until cooked through. Cookies will be slightly golden on the outside. They will not spread much or rise.
- Allow cookies to cool, then drizzle with additional melted chocolate as desired.
- Store the cookies at room temperature in a sealed container.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
The recipe for Chocolate chip Shortbread Cookies first appeared on The Recipe Critic.