Black Bean Soup. This hearty soup recipe is loaded up with veggies! Thick and creamy, this soup is quick and easy to put together. Instructions included for the stovetop and the slow cooker!
This quick and easy soup recipe is hearty and filling. Load it up with all the veggies! You can make this using vegetable broth and make it a fully meatless meal if desired. Plus we can put all of our favorite taco toppings on top to give it more of a southwest feel! For more spice feel free to add in some diced up jalapeno, or poblano peppers. And you can always increase the amount of chili powder included.
How to make Black Bean Soup:
- Saute the onion, carrots and celery until they are soft and tender.
- Stir in the seasonings: garlic, cumin, Chile powder and oregano.
- Pour in the black beans and broth. Add the bay leaf and salt.
- Stir the soup together. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Using an immersion blender, food processor or blender blend a portion of the soup to reach desired consistency. The more you blend the thicker the soup will be.
- Add lime juice, stir and add more salt to taste.
Ingredients for this Black Bean Soup Recipe:
- Cumin- ground cumin
- Oregano -dried oregano
- Chili Powder – optional. If you’re concerned about spice you can omit this. However, it doesn’t make the soup spicy, but adds a depth of flavor.
- Black Beans– use 15 ounce cans. Drain and rinse the beans. You can use dried beans for this recipe. Just make sure to soak the beans overnight before using. Substitute the 4 cans with 2 pounds of dried black beans.
- Broth– can use either chicken or vegetable broth.
- Bay Leaf
- Salt– add according to recipe and add more to taste.
Topping Suggestions for Black Bean Soup:
- Diced avocado
- Sour Cream
- Queso Fresco
- Diced Cilantro
How to make this Black Bean Soup in the Slow Cooker:
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Blend using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender.
How to Store this Black Bean Soup:
This soup can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. If needed it can be frozen. Let the soup come to room temperature. Pour into a freezer plastic sealable bag, or into a freezer safe container. Store in the freezer for 4-5 months. To reheat, place the soup in the refrigerator overnight. Then warm on the stovetop in a dutch oven or stock pot.
More Hearty Soup Recipes:
Black Bean Soup
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- cilantro, diced
- sour cream
- In large sauce pot or dutch oven coat the bottom with the olive oil.
- Add in the diced onion, celery, and carrots. Cook for several minutes or until the veggies are softened.
- Add in the garlic, ground cumin, oregano, and Chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the black beans and broth. Add in the salt and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Turn heat off.
- Blend with immersion blender, food processor, or blender. Be sure if transferring liquid to blend you wait for it to cool slightly.
- Serve warm, top with any additional toppings desired. Enjoy!