Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread with Sweet Honey Butter. This cornbread is the perfect side dish for all those soups and chilis this Fall season. The perfect amount of heat and sweet all combined into this one cheesy bread.
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
The best, easy to make cornbread dressed up with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and diced up jalapeño. Making homemade cornbread is SO easy. And other than the cornmeal you most likely have all the ingredients at home.
What is in Cornbread?
Cornbread is made out of a mixture of flour and cornmeal. This is where the yellow color comes from. Cornmeal is just ground up dried corn. It’s slightly gritty in texture. Which is why my recipe uses a combination of flour and cornmeal. The flour helps keep it from being too gritty.
Another ingredient I love to use in my cornbread is buttermilk. Using buttermilk helps keep these muffins tender, and moist. Nothing is worse than dry, gritty cornbread. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can make some sour milk.
To make sour milk to use in place of buttermilk: Add about 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice or plain white vinegar to your measuring cup, then pour the milk in to reach 1 and 1/2 cup. Let it sit briefly. This will make sour milk. Perfect for baking, and gets the same results as using buttermilk.
Cornbread Muffins Vs. Cornbread in a Cake Pan
This recipe can do both! There’s instructions in the recipe card below for baking these as muffins or in a 9×13 cake pan. Either way, prepare the batter the same, preheat the oven to 400. The only thing that changes is the baking time.
There’s no need to use liners if making this as muffins. Just give the muffin tin a quick spray with a non stick baking spray.
Recipes to Enjoy with this Cornbread:
WANT TO TRY THIS JALAPENO CHEDDAR CORNBREAD?
PIN IT NOW!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread with Sweet Honey Butter
This cornbread is loaded with cheese and jalapeno served with a sweet honey butter. The perfect amount of sweet and heat in this cheesy bread side dish!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 15
- Category: muffin
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted melted butter
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno de-seeded and finely chopped
Sweet Honey Butter
- 1 teaspoon honey (or agave) per every 2 tablespoons butter- add more or less as desired!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. spray a muffin tin with non stick baking spray, set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl add the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt, stir to combine.
- Add in the eggs and milk. Stir to combine. Then pour in the melted butter. Stir until batter is smooth.
- Fold in the jalapeno and cheese until just combined with the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Serve warm with butter and enjoy!
This recipe makes 15 cornbread muffins.
This recipe can also make a 9×13 pan of cornbread. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 474 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 7 g