This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Homemade Ranch Dressing. Cold, creamy and loaded up with fresh herbs this dressing can be drizzled over your salads or served as a dip.
Homemade Ranch Dressing. The perfect salad dressing and dip! Loaded with fresh or dried herbs this dressing is tangy, fresh, and creamy. Use as a dip with some fried pickles or even pizza. Or drizzle all over your freshly made salads.
How to make Homemade Ranch Dressing:
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and buttermilk: this allows you to control the consistency of the dressing.
- Add herbs & seasonings: this recipe can be made with fresh herbs or dried seasonings. Both amounts are included below.
- Stir in lemon juice: a little bit of acid from the lemon juice completes the flavor! Can also substitute with vinegar if needed.
The base of ranch dressing is made with a combination of the following:
- Sour cream
The herbs and seasonings used in ranch:
- Dill Weed
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
To add a bit more flavor and tang to the dressing use a splash of fresh lemon juice or vinegar.
- Chipotle: blend some chipotle peppers and adobo sauce to add to the ranch for a spicier version.
- Greek Yogurt: replace the mayonnaise/sour cream mixture with greek yogurt for a lighter version.
- Avocado Ranch Dressing: this version includes avocado, cilantro and lime juice.
- Salsa Ranch: replace a portion of the buttermilk with salsa. Perfect for using on Taco Salads.
Pro Tips: To make a thicker dip leave out the buttermilk and create the sauce using mayonnaise and sour cream. For pourable dressing add buttermilk!
More Recipes To Try:
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup buttermilk add to preference
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fresh dill Chopped, (¼ tsp dried dill)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley Chopped, (1 tsp dried parsley)
- 1 tsp fresh chives diced,(½ tsp dried chives)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed, or apple cider vinegar
- In a small mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise and sour cream. Add the buttermilk as needed to get desired pourable consistency. If making a dip replace buttermilk with more mayo/sour cream.
- Add the herbs and seasonings. Mix together.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.