Homemade Ranch Dressing. Cold, creamy and loaded up with fresh herbs this dressing can be drizzled over your salads or served as a dip.
Homemade Ranch Dressing. The perfect salad dressing and dip! Loaded with fresh or dried herbs this dressing is tangy, fresh, and creamy. Use as a dip with some fried pickles or even pizza. Or drizzle all over your freshly made salads.
How to make Homemade Ranch Dressing:
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and buttermilk: this allows you to control the consistency of the dressing.
- Add herbs & seasonings: this recipe can be made with fresh herbs or dried seasonings. Both amounts are included below.
- Stir in lemon juice: a little bit of acid from the lemon juice completes the flavor! Can also substitute with vinegar if needed.
The base of ranch dressing is made with a combination of the following:
- Sour cream
The herbs and seasonings used in ranch:
- Dill Weed
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
To add a bit more flavor and tang to the dressing use a splash of fresh lemon juice or vinegar.
- Chipotle: blend some chipotle peppers and adobo sauce to add to the ranch for a spicier version.
- Greek Yogurt: replace the mayonnaise/sour cream mixture with greek yogurt for a lighter version.
- Avocado Ranch Dressing: this version includes avocado, cilantro and lime juice.
- Salsa Ranch: replace a portion of the buttermilk with salsa. Perfect for using on Taco Salads.
Pro Tips: To make a thicker dip leave out the buttermilk and create the sauce using mayonnaise and sour cream. For pourable dressing add buttermilk!
More Recipes To Try:
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup buttermilk, add to preference
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fresh dill, Chopped, (¼ tsp dried dill)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, Chopped, (1 tsp dried parsley)
- 1 tsp fresh chives, diced,(½ tsp dried chives)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed, or apple cider vinegar
- In a small mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise and sour cream. Add the buttermilk as needed to get desired pourable consistency. If making a dip replace buttermilk with more mayo/sour cream.
- Add the herbs and seasonings. Mix together.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.