Tomato Twiddle. The ultimate Tomato Sandwich! This Tomato Twiddle recipe is perfect as a tea party sandwich. Easy to make, only 3 ingredients, and so flavorful! Get ready to meet your new favorite sandwich!
These Tomato Twiddle sandwiches are the ultimate in tomato sandwiches! Tomatoes mixed with sharp cheddar and onion for flavor. This creates a smooth spread that is perfect on sandwiches! Serve these sandwiches as a tea party option or just for lunch!
What is Tomato Twiddle?
Tomato Twiddle is a recipe that was created by my Mother-In-Law, Sue. She was born and raised in Britain and throws the BEST tea parties. This is one of her most requested tea party recipes. Tomato is blended with sharp cheddar cheese and onion to create a flavorful, spread.
How to make:
- Remove Tomato Skins: slice an “X” on the bottom of the tomatoes. Carefully place them in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes, until the skin starts to lift up where cut. Remove from the pot and allow to cool for a minute. Peel the skins off carefully with fingers.
- Remove seeds: cut the tomatoes in quarters and remove the seeds to prevent too much liquid in the mixture.
- Blend: add tomato, shredded cheese, and onion to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Spread: spread onto bread and serve on sandwiches.
- Consistency: The cheese controls the consistency. Start with a little less than the amount called for an:
- Flavor: Same with the onion, it controls the taste, start with a lower amount if needed and add as desired for taste.
- Storage: Store the tomato twiddle in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator and served cold spread onto sandwiches.
- Freezing: it is not recommended to freeze this recipe.
More recipes featuring tomato:
Tomato Twiddle- The Ultimate Tomato Sandwich
- 2 tomatoes, off the vine if possible
- ½ lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup white onion, chopped
- Prepare the tomatoes by cutting an "X" on the bottom (not deep, just enough to pierce the skin of the tomato). Place in a pot of boiling water. Allow the tomato to boil for about 2-3 minutes. Once the skin is starting to curl up off the tomato, where you cut it, remove from the water. Allow to cool for about a minute. Then peel the skin off the tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes in half and remove all of the seeds and discard.
- Add the tomato, cheese, and onion into a food processor (start light on the onion and add as desired for flavor) Pulse until fully combined. Mixture will be spreadable. If too runny add more cheese to thicken.
- Spread onto bread and serve on a sandwich. Store in refrigerator if not serving immediately.
Recipe first published April 5, 2016. Updated on June 2, 2020 with new images and information .