Tomato Tuna Melt
This tuna melt is loaded with veggies and placed on top of sliced tomato instead of bread and topped with melted cheese. A healthy take on a classic comfort food!
There is nothing I like more than an easy recipe. Well, maybe an easy and healthy recipe! Especially when it’s a recipe that my kids and the whole family enjoys. This Tomato Tuna Melt meets all of those criteria. This gluten free version of the tuna melt, loaded with veggies is sure to please the whole family!
On special celebration days I love to plan a menu for my family full of tasty treats: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I leave no meal unplanned. Breakfast is typically something sweet and covered in syrup. Dinner is typically something I know to be a favorite of the older girls. Lunch then needs to be something easy, healthy, filling, and fun.
What better than a lightened up version of a classic tuna melt? My family is a huge fan of anything covered in cheese. And I am a huge fan of making things in moderation. So if I’m going to cover it in cheese, everything else better be healthy! This Tomato Tuna Melt fits the bill. I made this Tomato Tuna Melt for the family for our lunch on one of our celebration days. And it ended up being my favorite meal of the day! The hubs too. It’s possible there was a request for an encore.
For the recipe I used Bumble Bee® Tuna in the can. This tuna is available in can or pouch. Each Bumble Bee® product is an easy and delicious way to add a variety of nutrients to your diet, including lean protein,healthy fat, and important vitamins and minerals. And luckily for the family, it tastes good too!
Mix that up with some fresh cut bell peppers, I went with red, green, and yellow. Just for fun. Some chopped green onion. A little bit of light Mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. This alone would be a wonderful meal. But we didn’t stop there. We scooped that wonderful tuna mixture onto thick, juicy tomato slices. Topped that with a slice of cheese and put them under the broiler to get it all melty and gooey. Just the way cheese should be.
I hope you enjoy the recipe and will follow along on my cooking adventures:
Tomato Tuna Melt
- 1 tomato
- 2 cans of Bumblebee Tuna Chunk Light in Water
- 2 tbsp green onion , chopped
- 2 tbsp bell pepper , chopped
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- cheese slices
- Slice the tomato into large slices. I was able to get about 4 slices from the whole tomato. Place the tomato slices on to a cookie sheet lined with foil. Set aside.
- Open and drain the Bumblebee Tuna, spoon into a medium sized bowl. Add in the chopped up green onion, bell pepper, light mayonnaise, dijon, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add one spoonful of tuna mixture onto each tomato slice. Top each tomato with a slice of cheese.
- Place under the broiler and cook for about 2-3 minutes just until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
More Healthy Options for You:
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.