This tuna melt is loaded with veggies and placed on top of sliced tomato instead of bread and topped with melted cheese. A healthy take on a classic comfort food!
There is nothing I like more than an easy recipe. Well, maybe an easy and healthy recipe! Especially when it’s a recipe that my kids and the whole family enjoys. This Tomato Tuna Melt meets all of those criteria. This gluten free version of the tuna melt, loaded with veggies is sure to please the whole family!
These tomato tuna melts are:
- easy to make
- gluten free
- low carb
- perfect for a light lunch
How to make Tomato Tuna Melts:
- Slice and prepare the tomato: slice the tomato into thick slices, lay on a prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Make tuna salad: mix together the tuna, mayonnaise, dijon, red onion, celery. Add other ingredients if desired.
- Layer: spoon tuna salad onto the top of the tomato slices. Top all the tomatoes with a slice of cheese.
- Broil: broil the tomato tuna melts for several minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
More Tomato Recipes:
- Tomato Twiddle (Tea Party Sandwiches)
- Homemade Restaurant Style Salsa
- Black Bean and Rice Stuffed Tomatoes
More Healthy Options:
Tomato Tuna Melt
- 1 tomato
- 2 6 ounce cans tuna
- ¼ cup red onon, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices cheese
- Preheat broiler. Line a small baking sheet with foil.
- Slice the tomato into large slices. Place the tomato slices on to a cookie sheet lined with foil, sprinkle the tomato with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Open and drain the tuna, spoon into a medium sized bowl. Add in the chopped up red onion, celery, mayonnaise, dijon, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add one spoonful of tuna mixture onto each tomato slice. Top each tomato with a slice of cheese.
- Place under the broiler and cook for about 2-3 minutes just until the cheese is melted.
Recipe first appeared on House of Yumm on January 13, 2015. Updated June 8, 2020 with new images and information.