Shrimp and Grits
Shrimp and Grits. A southern classic! Flavorful and hearty shrimp and bacon served over creamy, cheesy grits. Quick and easy, this recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal!
How to make shrimp and grits:
- Prepare the grits first. Heat chicken broth and milk in a medium size saucepan over medium heat. Add in the salt, then the grits. Reduce the heat to low and cover for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, stir the grits, and test to make sure they are nice and tender.
- Remove the grits from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese.
- Cover and set the grits to the side while preparing the shrimp.
- Start by cooking the bacon in a large skillet. Once the bacon is cooked through and crisp, remove the bacon but leave the bacon grease.
- Add the shrimp, sprinkle with the seasonings and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Allow the shrimp to cook for about 1 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Shrimp cooks quickly! Add in the crumbled cooked bacon, stir everything together.
- Once you see that the shrimp is no longer translucent and has a more solid pink color, it is cooked.
What type of grits should I use?
I typically use Quick grits when making this dish. They have a fine texture and they cook up in 5-10 minutes. If you want more information on the different type of grits and how long they take to cook you can check out my post on how to make grits.
Can I use polenta?
Yes! If you have polenta or even cornmeal on hand, either of those can be used in place of grits. They both offer slightly different textures and the cook time may vary slightly, but the method of cooking them will be the same.
What to serve with shrimp and grits?
Salads or some type of greens are a good choice for serving alongside the richness of shrimp and grits.
Some collard greens. Or sautéed kale or green beans would be wonderful options!
More Recipes you may enjoy:Print
Shrimp and grits! A southern classic. Flavorful and hearty shrimp with bacon served over creamy, cheesy grits. Quick and easy this recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal!
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 pound raw medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (approximately 1/2 regular lemon)
- green onion
- fresh parsley
- Combine the chicken broth and milk in a medium size saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the salt.
- Add the grits. Reduce the heat to low, cover and let cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and stir. Continue to let the grits cook over low heat while stirring for another 3-4 minutes. Grits should have a tender texture.
- Turn off the heat. Add in the butter and shredded cheese, stir in the butter and cheese until melted.
- Cover the grits to keep warm and prepare the shrimp.
- Cook the bacon in a medium size skillet over medium heat. Remove the bacon once cooked through and to desired crispness.
- Add the shrimp to the bacon grease, still cooking medium/low heat, cook the shrimp for about 2 minutes, then turn to cook the other side.
- Cook shrimp for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add in the cajun seasoning, garlic, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Crumble the cooked bacon, return to the skillet. Stir.
- Once shrimp is no longer translucent and cooked through (total cook time for shrimp is about 4-6 minutes)
- Serve shrimp over the cheese grits. Serve immediately.
If you don’t have cajun seasoning on hand you can make your own blend. Here’s a recipe!
- Category: main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 485
- Sugar: 13 g
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 29 g
Keywords: shrimp and grits