Banana Bread Crumb Cake
Banana Bread Crumb Cake. Tender and soft this banana cake is loaded up with flavor and a hint of spice. Topped with a sweet, brown sugar crumb this is the perfect snack or breakfast cake!
This soft banana cake is loaded up with a healthy dose of crumb on top and baked in a square baking pan, making it the perfect after school snack or breakfast for the family. You can drizzle a little icing to take it into dessert territory also.
This is the ultimate snack or breakfast cake. This recipe comes from my Banana Bread recipe. Making some small changes to that recipe such as creaming the butter and sugars, and adding baking powder for a little extra lift, turns my favorite bread into this tender banana cake.
This cake is made even more tender from using buttermilk. The same as the banana bread recipe. If you’re like me and don’t typically have buttermilk on hand its it’s an easy fix.
To make sour milk to use in place of buttermilk: Add about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or plain white vinegar to your measuring cup, then pour the milk in to reach 1 cup. Let it sit briefly. This will make sour milk. Perfect for baking, and gets the same results as using buttermilk.
The recipe has instructions for baking the banana cake in an 8×8, 9×9 or 9×13 pan.
Giving this banana cake a crumb topping puts it into the breakfast category. Almost like a coffee cake.
The crumb topping is easy to make. Combine light brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Then drizzle some melted butter in. Stir together with a fork to combine and create the large crumbs.
If the crumbs are too small and it’s not sticking together into big crumbs, add just a bit more melted butter.
On the other hand if the crumb seems really wet and wanting to make one large “crumb” add just a bit more flour to dry it up a bit to create the crumbs.
More Recipes to Try:
WANT TO TRY THIS BANANA BREAD CRUMB CAKE?
PIN IT NOW!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Banana Bread Crumb Cake
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a square baking pan with parchment paper or spray with non stick baking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl prepare the crumb by mixing together the light brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Drizzle with the melted butter, then use a fork mix until large crumbs are formed. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the room temperature butter, white and light brown sugars. Cream together. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Mash the bananas with a fork, then add to the batter, stir to combine, will be slightly lumpy.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, stir with a fork to mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stir slowly and pour in the buttermilk while stirring. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and sprinkle the crumbs on top. Gently press the crumbs into the batter to help stick.
- If using an 8x8 pan bake for about 45-50 minutes. If using a 9x9 pan bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 30 minutes prior to serving. If desired top with icing.
- If you don't have buttermilk on hand you can make sour milk. Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or plain white vinegar to your measuring cup, then pour the milk in to reach ⅔ cup. Let it sit briefly. This will make sour milk.
- If you want to make this in a 9x13 pan you can add an additional ½ cup flour and ⅓ cup milk to the recipe. Double the crumb recipe and bake for 40 minutes.
- Simple icing recipe: 1 cup powdered sugar, 2-3 tablespoons milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix together, add more powdered sugar or more milk to get the desired consistency.
The recipe Banana Bread Crumb Cake first appeared on The Recipe Critic.