Zucchini Crumb Muffins with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze. These muffins are loaded up with fresh zucchini, spiced up with a hint of cinnamon, and made lighter by using greek yogurt! Not to mention the sweet hint of crumb topping baked right into the muffin. Top it all off with a drizzle of lemon cream cheese glaze.
Zucchini Crumb Muffins. They are as miraculous as they sound.
It came to my attention recently that some people haven’t experienced zucchini in baked goods. I was slightly shocked.
I grew up with my mom constantly baking zucchini bread. She always grew several zucchini plants every summer. As soon as there were enough ripe zucchini we would always have a fresh loaf of zucchini bread. Which reminds me..I should probably share that recipe too. But I’m too excited about these muffins right now to hold out on you any longer.
There is nothing better than a good muffin for breakfast. If you haven’t dived into my muffin recipes yet I recommend starting with these of course, then moving on to my Healthier Lemon Muffins, the Skinny Chocolate Muffins and ending the muffin tour with these Oatmeal Raisin Muffins.
The exciting part about these muffins? The crumb layer. There’s the crumb topping on the top..of course.. But there’s also a hidden layer inside the muffin. Again. It’s miraculous. The crumb topping is made with butter and brown sugar, so that melts into the muffin and it becomes one. And it makes the muffin buttery and sweet. Mix that with the hint of cinnamon and you are off to a good start of your day.
What really puts these over the top is the lemon cream cheese glaze. Helllooooo. Cream cheese. Lemon. I could just admit to you that I have issues and that the muffin might just be a way for me to eat this glaze for breakfast.
Zucchini Crumb Muffins with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, approx half a lemon
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a fork to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl beat the eggs with he sugar until combined. Add in the greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine. Fold in the grated zucchini. Batter will be thick.
- Prepare the crumb topping by combining the dry ingredients together. Stir with a fork. Then pour the melted butter on top. Stir until clumps form.
- Pour a spoonful of batter into each muffin tin, then sprinkle with the crumb mixture. Top off each muffin tin with more of the muffin batter to about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with more crumb topping.
- Bake for about 23 minutes or until done, tops with be raised and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then remove to continue to cool.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the cream cheese and lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Drizzle over the tops of the cooled muffins. Serve and enjoy! Muffins can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature for about 2-3 days.