Avocado Baked Eggs with Bacon. Super simple to put together these avocados are filled with bacon and eggs then baked to create a delicious low carb friendly breakfast dish!
Avocado makes for the perfect bowl to hold bacon and baked eggs complete with runny yolk! Easy to make, only takes minutes to assemble and then bake for an easy and healthy breakfast treat.
Can you cook avocados in the oven?
Absolutely. This recipe involves baking an avocado with an egg inside of the crater left by the removal of the pit.
Leave the skin on the avocado during the baking to provide support. Once the avocado is removed and cooled you can remove the skin, although this dish is easier eaten with the skin on. Just use it as nature’s bowl.
The top of the avocado might brown just slightly from the baking, but it’s nothing to worry about and has no impact on the taste or texture. We’re not baking the avocado long enough to blacken it.
How long do you bake an egg in an avocado?
This recipe calls for baking an egg in an avocado at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes. I recommend giving the baking tray a slight shake to check how set the eggs are. They will be slightly wobbly in the center with the runny yolk, but the whites should be set around the yolk.
You might even see a slightly hardened yolk cap on the top, which is normal. Don’t fear, once you poke through that or remove with a fork the yolk will still be runny underneath.
Other Low Carb Avocado Recipes:
Avocado Baked Eggs with Bacon
- 2 large avocados
- 4 slices bacon, bacon
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425℉ degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with a non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon most of the way. Don't cook completely because it will bake in the oven also.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Spoon out the avocado around the area the pit was to make the crater larger. Set the avocado aside to enjoy on it's own or as guacamole.
- Cut the cooked bacon strips in half and place two halves in each avocado.
- Crack one egg into each avocado. It's ok if the white part runs out of the avocado slightly, just keep the yolk in the crater.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until eggs cooked. The yolk will jiggle when if you shake the pan, but whites will be set.
- Remove and allow to cool for a couple minutes, be careful as the avocado skin will be hot.
- Serve immediately. Salt and pepper to taste.
What I like about this recipe is that the avocados are cut and function as “bowls” for the egg. My mod was to go ahead and cook the bacon super crispy and crumble them. I really couldn’t “perfect” those recipes that required the egg to be cooked in both halves of the avocado. This was MUCH easier and more sensible. And, yes, my wife and I both love runny eggs, so this recipe was PERFECT. Thank you.