Southwest Breakfast Potatoes. These easy to make BAKED potatoes are roasted with bell pepper, jalapeno, and the perfect seasoning blend. Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, these potatoes are better than your favorite diner!
Nothing completes a breakfast meal like having some hearty, crispy, potatoes on the side! These potatoes are easy to make, they are baked, and come out soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. The perfect side to your scrambled eggs, quiche, Migas, or loaded inside of breakfast tacos
How to make Breakfast potatoes:
- Dice the potatoes and peppers. Add in diced onion if desired. Don’t add minced garlic, it doesn’t hold up well to the high heat roasting. Use any peppers you want, if jalapeño is too much spice, you can use a mixture of red and green bell pepper instead.
- Drizzle with oil. Stir to ensure all of the potatoes and peppers are coated, this will help protect them during the roasting process and help to create a crisp exterior.
- Season: my favorite seasonings are garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cumin, black pepper and smoked paprika.
- Bake. Spread the potatoes into an even layer on the baking sheet to help ensure even cooking.
- High Heat. After the potatoes have cooked for 20 minutes, increase the heat to 500℉ to give a crispy skin to the potatoes.
Tips to make CRISPY potatoes:
Since we’re not frying these potatoes in a skillet, we have to do a couple of things to help make them nice and crispy on the outside while baking in the oven.
- Coat with oil– use a high smoke point oil (avocado oil is a great option!)
- Cook at 425℉ initially to help soften the potatoes.
- Cook at 500℉ to finish, this will give a crispy skin to the potatoes.
Crispy breakfast potatoes are best when eaten immediately after baking. If you have leftovers, store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When reheating, to help retain some of the crispness, drizzle a small amount of oil or melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat, and pan fry the potatoes while heating.
More Breakfast Recipes:
Southwestern Breakfast Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425℉.
- Clean and dice the potatoes, place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add diced red bell pepper and diced jalapeño. Drizzle with oil. Stir to combine.
- Add seasonings. Stir to coat the potatoes and peppers completely.
- Spread the potatoes on a large baking sheet into an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir with a spatula, then raise the temperature to 500℉ and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are starting to crisp and brown on the edges. Stir them up about every 10 minutes to ensure all sides crisp.
Recipe first published May 4, 2016. Updated on May 4, 2020 with new images.