This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Homemade Clamato Juice. This fresh, tangy drink is made with a tomato juice base and loaded up with savory flavors. This mixer is perfect for using in drink cocktails, shrimp cocktails, and ceviche.
This homemade version of Clamato juice gives you all the flavors that you want in this mixer, with none of the ingredients that you want to avoid!
What is Clamato Juice?
Just as the name suggests it’s a combination of tomato and clam juices. The addition of hot sauce, lemon juice, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce gives it a hearty, spicy taste. It can be served as a drink on it’s own, but more commonly it is used in cocktails. It’s also used in the preparation of Mexican style shrimp cocktails and ceviche.
- Tomato Juice: this can either be a store bought tomato juice, look for one is pure tomato juice, no other ingredients. Or you can make your own tomato juice by blending up canned or fresh tomatoes. Add water as needed too thin.
- Clam Juice: this can be found in bottles in the market next to where the tuna and other canned fishes are.
- Lemon Juice: freshly squeezed
- Worcestershire Sauce: adds a nice savory flavor.
- Hot Sauce: use any brand or type. Add as needed or desired.
- Celery Salt: adds a perfect hint of celery into the drink.
- Black Pepper: I love using coarse ground black pepper in this juice, but regular pepper works as well.
What is Clamato Juice used for?
- Shrimp Cocktails
- Caesars cocktail
- Mexican Ceviche
Homemade Clamato Juice
- 2 cups tomato juice (457 ml)
- ½ cup clam juice (120 ml)
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce (10 ml)
- 1 tsp hot sauce (5 ml)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (30 ml)
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- ½ tsp coarse black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large measuring cup. Whisk together.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. Stir before using.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.