This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A fresh lemon twist on a classic margarita. This simple margarita recipe uses fresh lemon juice in place of lime to create a refreshing and tart margarita drink.
This refreshing and citrusy margarita is a spin on a classic margarita. Instead of focusing on lime juice, we’re using sweet and tart lemon juice. This gives a lovely, nicely balanced, citrus-flavored cocktail that is refreshing and perfect for pairing with all your tacos, fajitas, and enchiladas.
Ingredients in a Lemon Margarita
- Tequila: blanco (silver) or reposado are both great options
- Triple Sec: use an orange liqueur to balance the flavors and add a bit more sweetness. Triple Sec or Cointreau are popular options.
- Agave: adds enough sweetness to balance the tart citrus flavors. This can be subbed with a simple syrup if needed.
- Lemon: the main citrus in this drink, use freshly squeezed juice.
- Lime: a small amount of lime makes a well rounded tasting drink. Use freshly squeezed juice.
how to make a Lemon Margarita
- Rim the glasses. Rub a lime wedge along the edge of the glass to get it wet, then dip into coarse sea salt.
- Mix the cocktail. Add ice to a cocktail shaker and combine the ingredients for the drink: tequila, triple sec, lemon juice, lime juice, and agave. Shake to combine and chill the drink.
- Add ice to glasses. And then pour in the drink
- Frozen Lemon Margarita: follow the instructions in our How to Make Frozen Margaritas recipe to use fresh lemon juice and ice to make a slushy, frozen version of this drink.
- Make it Spicy: add some jalapeños to give a spicy bite to the drink.
- Extra Fruit: add some fresh strawberries or blueberries for a colorful, and sweet drink. Muddle the fruits in the cocktail shaker to get the most of the flavor and strain as you pour into your glass.
More Margarita Recipes
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur
- ½ ounce agave
- 2 ounces lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ½ ounce lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt for garnish
- Combine the ingredients in a drink shaker already filled with ice, or a jar or glass if you don't have one.
- Shake, or stir if needed to mix the ingredients together.
- Rub a lime wedge over the rim of the glass and dip into coarse salt
- Add ice into the glass and pour the drink over.
- Garnish with lemon and lime wedges and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.