Yum!! Lime and coconut cupcakes!?! According to the calendar it’s winter. According to the high 80’s temperature that we’ve been having here in Southern California, it’s Summer!! Which makes me want to eat summer treats! Nothing is more refreshing than the flavors of lime and coconut. So of course I had to make it into a cupcake!
These cupcakes turned out better than I had even hoped!! The cake is moist and flavorful. I was worried I was adding too much lime into the batter, but it’s the perfect amount! It gives the cake just the right lime flavor without it being too overwhelming.
The filling for these cupcakes is a creation meant to taste like the inside of an Almond Joy. You know that creamy coconut-y wonderful center of the Almond Joy?? That’s what I have in the center of these cupcakes! So if the cake isn’t moist and tasty enough for you? There’s this extra special surprise in the middle just waiting.
Top this all off with a coconut buttercream frosting. This decadent yet simple frosting is bursting with coconut flavor and perfectly complements the rest of the cupcake.
If you are a fan of lime and coconut then this is THE cupcake for you!
Lime Coconut Cupcakes
- Yield: 12 cupcakes
For the cake
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Juice and zest from 2 limes
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup reduced canned coconut milk
For the cupcakes:
- Mix all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) together in a small bowl. Mix all wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla, sour cream) together in a large bowl. Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until combined. Add in the lime juice and zest, stir until mixed.
- Bake cupcakes at 350 for 16 minutes.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, salt, and vanilla together. Add in powdered sugar and stir until mixed. Add in shredded coconut. Stir until mixed.
- Add coconut milk to saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling lower heat to a simmer and simmer the milk for 20-25 minutes until it has reduced to about half its original amount. Allow milk to cool to room temperature. Add all ingredients to large mixing bowl and beat on low speed until combined.