Strawberry Lemon Pound Cake
Strawberry Lemon Pound Cake! This easy to make loaf cake is loaded with lemon flavor thanks to fresh juice and zest. Plus there’s sweet and juicy strawberries baked right in! All topped with a decadent drizzle of a lemon glaze. This bright and sweet loaf cake will be the highlight of your day!
I love this recipe. It’s the same recipe I used for my Glazed Cranberry Orange Bread. And it’s just the perfect texture and softness. The possibilities for this recipe are endless. I also have a Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake recipe that uses this same base.
How to make Strawberry Lemon Pound Cake:
- Prepare the lemon sugar. This is one of the things that makes this cake burst with fresh lemon flavor. Lemon zest mixed with sugar, gives a hint of lemon flavor throughout the bread. Simply add the zest to the sugar and mix it together with your fingers.
- Mix together the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and the lemon sugar.
- In another bowl combine the eggs, greek yogurt, vanilla, lemon juice, and vegetable oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together.
Mix the diced strawberries with a bit of flour, this helps them to not all sink to the bottom of the cake while it bakes.
- Fold those into the batter, pour into a loaf pan, and bake.
- After the cake has cooled you can top with the lemon glaze which is made from powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Depending on how much lemon flavor you like in the glaze, you may want to substitute some of the lemon juice with some milk or cream.
How to serve Strawberry Lemon Pound Cake:
This loaf, is not a pound cake in a traditional sense. But I find it much more cake like than a regular quick bread. So I wasn’t quite sure what to call this recipe! I decided on pound cake because I feel that the end result is more like a pound cake, and I love serving this as a dessert!
It’s wonderful as an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee or a warm cup of tea, or a cup of cold sweet tea in the warmer months. You can absolutely enjoy a slice of this as a breakfast, or as a dessert. For dessert, it’s nice to dress it up with a scoop of ice cream.
How to Store this Strawberry Lemon Pound Cake:
This pound cake recipe will keep at room temperature for about 5 days. Simply wrap in some foil or plastic wrap, or slice and store in a sealed container.
How to Freeze this Strawberry Lemon Pound Cake:
Simply follow the recipe, DO NOT PUT THE GLAZE ON. Once the pound cake has cooled, wrap it with plastic wrap, then wrap in foil, or place in a large plastic bag. Seal it up. And freeze. The pound cake can be frozen for 3-4 months. To eat, allow to come to room temperature. Then you can make the icing.Print
Strawberry Lemon Pound cake! This easy to make loaf cake is loaded with lemon flavor thanks to fresh juice and zest. Plus there’s sweet and juicy strawberries baked right in! All topped with a decadent drizzle of a lemon glaze. This bright and sweet loaf cake will be the highlight of your day!
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (1 medium size lemon)
- 1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup strawberries, cleaned and diced
- 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (can sub with some half and half or heavy cream)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray loaf pan (mine is 9×5) with baking spray and set aside.
- In small bowl combine the lemon zest and sugar. Mix together with your fingers until zest is coated with sugar and mixture is fragrant (will smell like lemon!)
- In large bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar zest mixture. Whisk together to combine.
- In another medium bowl beat the eggs, add in the greek yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon juice, vegetable oil, stir until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir gently to mix.
- Toss the strawberries with the 1/2 tablespoon of flour. Once batter is mostly mixed, gently fold in the strawberries.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Using the back of the spoon evenly spread the batter.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes. Top will be browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle will come out clean once done. Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes then turn the pan upside down to remove the bread from the pan. Move loaf to wire rack to continue cooling.
- While bread is cooling you can prepare the glaze. In small bowl add the powdered sugar, then the lemon zest. Pour in the lemon juice and stir. Start with 1 tablespoon and if the glaze is tasting tart enough (depends on the lemon used!) then use half and half or heavy cream to get the correct consistency. The glaze will be smooth. Stir until there are no clumps of sugar remaining. Add more sugar or more juice to obtain desired consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled bread.
- Serve immediately or store bread in sealed container. I wrap mine in foil. Store at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 18 g
- Sodium: 238 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 71 mg
Keywords: strawberry lemon pound cake, lemon pound cake,