Baked Zucchini Fries. Crispy and flavorful, these zucchini fries are baked and SO easy to make! Serve with your favorite dipping sauces for a fun, healthier snack.
These baked zucchini fries are the BEST snack or appetizer. The breading is made of crispy panko, freshly grated parmesan, and the perfect blend of seasoning. Dip in some ranch or marinara sauce if desired. These are a fun, lighter side or appetizer that would be great served alongside a burger or steak.
How to make Baked Zucchini Fries:
- Prepare Zucchini: slice the ends off the zucchini, then slice in half length-wise, and cut each half into 3 equal pieces lengthwise. Sprinkle the zucchini with flour.
- Make Batter: prepare the Panko breading by combining the panko, freshly grated parmesan, and seasonings.
- Set up breading station: set up separate bowls with the panko breading, beaten eggs, and have a baking sheet lined with foil and a wire rack set on top.
- Bread the zucchini: working in batches dip the floured zucchini into the beaten eggs, then into the panko breading. Place the breaded zucchini onto the wire rack on the baking sheet.
- Bake: bake the zucchini until golden and the breading is crisp.
- Breading: panko creates a nice crisp coating on the zucchini. But it can be replaced with breadcrumbs/gluten free breadcrumbs/flour/almond flour if desired. Flours will give a finer, more consistent breading after cooking.
- Seasoning: seasoning can be adjusted per taste. Some recommendations: Italian seasoning, chili powder, ranch seasoning.
- Knife skills: Slice the zucchini to a similar size, this helps to ensure even cooking.
- Dry the zucchini: if your zucchini has any kind of moisture after cutting, blot them dry with a paper towel or clean towel before sprinkling with flour. This helps the breading to stick.
- Dry hand/wet hand: when breading foods use one hand for the egg and one hand for the breading. Otherwise you will end up with a sticky mess on your hands.
- Use wire rack: this allows the heat to travel around the zucchini while baking, helping make sure the zucchini bakes up nice and crispy on all sides.
Sauces to serve with Baked Zucchini:
More Zucchini Recipes:
Baked Zucchini Fries
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Line a large baking sheet with foil, parchment, or a silicone baking sheet. Lay a wire cooling rack on top. Set aside.
- Slice the ends off the zucchini, then cut the zucchini in half, then each half in half lengthwise. Working with each piece of zucchini, slice into 3 equal slices.
- Pat the zucchini dry and then sprinkle with flour.
- In one medium size bowl whisk together the eggs. In a separate bowl combine the panko, parmesan and seasonings. Stir together.
- Working in batches dip floured zucchini into the egg, then into the panko breading making sure to coat all sides of the zucchini. Place the breaded zucchini onto the wire rack over the baking sheet. Continue until all zucchini has been breaded.
- Bake the zucchini for 22-24 minutes or until the breading is crisp and golden.
- Serve with homemade ranch or other dipping sauce.