This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Homemade Texas Trash Chex Mix is the perfect combination of salty and spicy, with just a hint of sweetness. A combination of three kinds of chex, pretzels, cheese crackers, and goldfish crackers make this a winning snack that is sure to be enjoyed by all!
What is Texas Trash Snack Mix…
Texas Trash is a spicy Chex Mix, a snack mix made of Chex cereals, crackers, pretzels, nuts, and other cereals. All drizzled with a spicy butter mixture made of Worcestershire sauce and spices. This particular recipe also uses a small amount of brown sugar for a light sweetness to balance out the spice. After coating in the butter mixture, the Chex mix is baked, making it extra toasty and crunchy. This snack mix is perfect for setting out at parties or giving as gifts during the Holidays!
Notes on Some Ingredients:
- Cereals and Crackers: use whatever combination you prefer, traditionally this recipe is made with the combination of 3 types of Chex (wheat, corn and rice) but other than that you can add any other options you would like.
- Butter: this recipe uses salted butter for extra flavoring.
- Hot Sauce: use your favorite kind for an extra dose of heat.
- Light Brown Sugar: adds balance to the heat, can be left out if you need a sugar free option.
- Salt: taste and add as needed once the mix is coated in the spicy butter before baking.
How to Make:
- Prepare the spicy butter, melt the butter and add the Worcestershire, spices, and brown sugar.
- Toss the cereals and crackers together on a large baking sheet. You can also combine them in a large bowl and transfer to the baking sheet, just be careful when stirring the mix around so as not to break the cereal or crackers.
- Drizzle with the spicy butter mixture, be sure to carefully mix around to ensure that all of the mix is evenly coated, taste and add salt as needed. Bake at a low heat, stirring several times during the bake time.
- Adjust: this recipe is easy to adjust, if you are concerned about the heat, cut back on the cayenne and hot sauce.
- Gluten Free: there are plenty of gluten free options to make this allergen friendly, plus you can add or leave out nuts as needed.
- Slow Cooker: this can be made in the slow cooker if you opt for that method. Prepare the Chex mix and spicy butter sauce. Stir these together in the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 2 hours stirring every 30 minutes or so during that time.
Chex Mix: FAQs
You can add anything you would like, some great options would be nuts, other crackers, and cereals.
You can make a gluten free version using only gluten free cereals and add ins. This particular recipe is not due to the crackers and cereals used.
Store the Texas Trash in a sealed container for up to 3 weeks. It can be frozen, in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature when ready.
More Spicy Snack recipes:
If you tried this recipe please leave a comment and a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below! Thank you so much!
Texas Trash Spicy Chex Mix
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 1 cup goldfish crackers
- 1 cup cheese crackers
- 2 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups Wheat Chex
- 2 cups Corn Chex
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Line a large baking pan with a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper.
- Add the pretzels, goldfish, cheese crackers, and chex cereals to the large baking sheet. Stir around to mix.
- Spread on baking pan
- Melt the butter either in a small glass mixing bowl in the microwave, or in a small saucepan on the stovetop.
- Add all of the other ingredients (minus salt) for the butter drizzle into the melted butter, stir to combine.
- Pour the butter over the chex mix on the baking sheet.
- Use your hands to gently mix the chex mix around to ensure it’s all evenly coated in the butter mixture. Taste to determine if extra salt is needed, if so add to taste.
- Bake for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking pan for 30 minutes before serving.
- Store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- Cheerios, nuts, bugels, rye chips, bagel chips can all be used in the Chex mix.
- Hot sauce-cut back or add more according to how much spice you prefer.
- Gluten Free- use gluten free options when deciding on items for the Chex mix.
- Combine the Chex mix with desired items.
- Prepare the spicy butter.
- Stir together the Chex mix with the butter mixture in the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes to prevent burning.
- Store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
- Can be frozen in a sealed container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography by the talented @ModernFarmhouseEats