This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Indulge in a creamy and fruity piña colada recipe that can be prepared in just 5 minutes! Satisfy your craving for a refreshing, sweet and fruity cocktail that will transport you to a tropical paradise.
Making a pina colada from scratch is incredibly easy and much better than using a store-made mix. With this recipe, you can always have the necessary ingredients to enjoy a delicious tropical drink whenever desired!
Ingredients In the Perfect Pina Colada
- Frozen Pineapple & Pineapple Juice: we’re getting a double dose of pineapple flavor, but a frosty sensation from the frozen pineapple chunks.
- Coconut cream & Cream of coconut: this is going to add our coconut flavorings and sweetness. The combination of the two gives the most coconut flavor without an overwhelming sweetness, plus the bonus of extra creaminess!
- Ice: makes this a nice frozen cocktail drink.
- Rum: this recipe uses a white rum.
Coconut Cream vs Cream of Coconut
These are two very different ingredients. This particular recipe uses both of them to achieve the perfect creaminess and sweetness to our drink.
- Coconut cream: Coconut cream is created by cooling coconut milk and removing the layer of cream that rises to the surface. It has a thick texture and a distinct coconut flavor, but it is not sweetened. You can usually find it in cans located near the coconut milk.
- Cream of coconut: Cream of coconut is a sweetened coconut cream that is often used to add flavor to tropical drinks, ice creams, and more. Find it online or at the local liquor stores. One popular brand is Coco Real.
Best Rum for a Pina Colada
For a refreshing, mellow pina colada, use a white rum. White rum has a more neutral flavor and a light or clear look. Aging in wooden barrels gives dark rum a deep coloring and a more robust flavor.
With the addition of our pineapple and coconut ingredients, it’s not necessary to use coconut rum. Coconut rum tends to have a sweeter flavor. Using a flavored rum will change the taste of your drink.
If using any rum other than white rum, I would advise you to taste and adjust the recipe as needed to get your desired flavor.
How to make a Pina Colada
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust any if needed.
How to Garnish
- Pineapple Wedges: slice the pineapple, creating wedges you can add to the edge of a glass or cocktail spears.
- Cherry: top with sweet cocktail cherries for a pop of color.
- Tiny Umbrellas: find these in most markets in the alcohol aisles or online.
Pina Colada Mocktail
Making a virgin Pina Colada is the same method, just leave out the rum or substitute with a non-alcoholic white rum.
More Cocktail recipes
- 5 ounces frozen pineapple chunks
- 4 ounces white rum
- 5 ounces cream of coconut or Coco Lopez
- 2 ounces coconut cream
- 4 ounces pineapple juice
- 1½ cups ice
- fresh pineapple slices
- Add the ingredients to a high powered blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add more ice as needed to get desired consistency.
- Serve immediately. Garnish as desired with pineapple slices and/or cherries
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography by the talented KJandCompany.co