Pina Colada enjoy the flavors of the tropics at home. Only three ingredients and a few minutes until you can be sipping, relaxing, and pretending you’re on vacation!
What is a Pina colada?
A pina colada is a sweet, tropical tasting, cocktail. The main ingredients are pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and rum. The cocktail is typically garnished with a maraschino cherry, a wedge of pineapple, or a combination of both.
How to make a Pina Colada
This cocktail is best when made with a blender. Although it can also be made shaken in a cocktail shaker with some ice. I love the frosted, slush drink that comes from blending it with ice though.
- To get started, pour the pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and rum into the blender. Add about 1 and 1/2 cup of ice. Blend for about 20-30 seconds until the ice is blended.
- Check the consistency, add more ice to make the drink thicker. Starting with a lower amount of ice allows you more control over the consistency. Adding too much ice can make the drink too thick and you will end up eating it with a spoon.
How to make a virgin Pina Colada
Making a virgin Pina Colada is the same method, just leave out the rum! This is such a tasty drink, my kids love to sip on these non-alocholic versions. And I always enjoyed a cup while pregnant too. Making a large batch of this tropical drink is something the entire family can enjoy.
What is cream of coconut?
Cream of coconut is a sweetened coconut cream. When coconut milk is chilled, the fats separate and the thick fatty part of the coconut is the coconut cream. This is then sweetened and becomes cream of coconut. Cream of coconut is typically used in mixed drinks, ice creams, and some desserts where a strong coconut flavor is wanted.
If you have leftover cream of coconut here are some other recipes you can make:
Pina Colada! Enjoy the flavors of the tropics at home! Only three ingredients and a few minutes until you can be sipping, relaxing, and pretending you’re on vacation!
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut (usually found in a can by the Hispanic foods)
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice (I used canned juice)
- 2 ounces coconut rum
- 2 cups ice
- Optional garnishes – Maraschino cherries and pineapple chunks
- Open the cream of coconut and stir, it will be slightly separated in the can stir it together. Once combined, add 1/2 cup to a blender. Add in the pineapple juice and rum.
- Add about 1 cup of ice to the blender. Blend for 20-30 seconds until ice is blended. If watery, add more ice to get desired consistency.
- Pour into two glasses and enjoy! Garnish with cherries and pineapples as desired.
- Category: drinks
- Method: mixed
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 187
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g
- Protein: 8 g