Mexican Alphabet Soup. This beyond simple alphabet soup recipe is always a huge hit! Only 3 ingredients needed, this recipe only takes 20 minutes and is perfect as a quick, weeknight meal for the family.
This Mexican Alphabet Soup is my kids all time favorite meal. All of them. From the oldest to the baby. Which means that this is the recipe that I make most often. This ABC soup makes my meal plan most weeks. Especially during busy seasons, when we have soccer practices or if we have lots of plans going on during the holidays..this is my go to easy meal.
The recipe for this Mexican Alphabet soup is thanks to my husband. He grew up eating this, it’s also known as Sopa de Letras. When we had our own kids he made sure that this was a meal that we made at home for them.
How to Make Mexican Alphabet Soup:
The base of the soup is just the pasta, tomato sauce, and chicken bouillon. It’s that simple.
- Fry the pasta in a bit of oil. I typically use extra virgin olive oil, you can also use vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, and chicken bouillon. My favorite brand for this is Goya. Either the packets, or cubes. The packets of the seasoning are easier to stir in. The cubes need to be broken up to incorporate into the soup.
What pasta do I use for Alphabet Soup?
My personal favorite is the brand La Moderna. I find the alphabet letters one at Target typically. They also have a star version, the past just looks like little stars instead of letters, and those are easier to find, I can find the stars at Walmart and at Target. The same recipe that I use for this Alphabet Soup makes Star Soup as well. It’s just a difference in the shape of the pasta. (NOT SPONSORED, Just sharing info with you). You can also buy this type of pasta on Amazon. Here’s a link! (affiliate link)
Plus! You can dress this sopa de letras up as much as you want, or as little. Some ideas would be to add a little bacon and green peppers for some extra flavor.
Tips for making Mexican ABC Soup
- Can use any pasta, we use the alphabet pasta which can be found in most hispanic food aisles at the grocery store.
- Fry the pasta in oil prior to making the soup, keep stirring until the pasta turns slightly golden.
- The pasta will soak up the liquid super fast. To keep it more soup like serve immediately after pasta is thoroughly cooked. The recipe calls for 8 cups of water, which is enough to make this soupy. IF you want it more pasta like, which I like to do with the little kids (it’s so much easier for them to eat) then cut it back to 6 cups.
More Soup Recipes:
WANT TO TRY THIS MEXICAN ALPHABET SOUP?
PIN IT NOW!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Mexican Alphabet Soup
- 1 tbsp oil, (extra virgin olive oil, avocado, or vegetable)
- 2 (14 ounce) alphabet pasta , (or other la moderna noodles)
- 2 (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon
- Add 1 tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet, fry the alphabet pasta over medium heat. Keep stirring so that the noodles don't burn.
- Once the pasta is turning golden pour in the tomato sauce and water. Stir to combine. Add in the chicken bouillon. Stir until completely dissolved and mixed in. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and allow to simmer. Allow to simmer until the pasta is tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!
*Recipe adapted from Sopa de Fideo at Laugh with Us Blog
My babysitter used to make this for me all the time. now that im older i gett some cravings but i didnt know how to makr this. but i finally came across this recipe on pinterest thank you so much 🙏🙏🙏
Made this as described. Great jump start for a variety of different types of soup. Adding garlic and veggies if I have time. I’ve searched for this simple version remembering the ease that I saw my family preparing it for the kids. I’m so happy that I can share this with my family. Every time I saw the stars or alphabet pasta, l’d yearn for this soup.
How would I add vegetables like carrot, squash and chayote?
Saute the vegetables while you are frying the pasta, this will help them soften up. Or you can sauté them in a separate pan. And then add them into the pasta when you are adding the tomato sauce and water. Let it all cook together.
I used 6 cups of broth from a Polish “Bigos” recipe that I made, in the place of the water and Oh.My.Gosh. Amazing. The cabbage broth definitely add’s a new twist!
Thank you for posting this! Iv’e been looking for this recipe for a long time. 🙂
My grandmother use to make this soup for my mother and her 10 other siblings in Mexico. My mom made it for me as a child. I grew up eating this soup all the time and now I make it for my toddler who loves it. She always asks for more.
I made this today and it was very good. Very simple too! Love your all the recipes. Thanks for your sharing!!
I’ve tried this recipe, I must say, it is delicious..
Thanks so much Jorge! This soup ends up on our family menu once a week 🙂
I never new where to look for the ABC pasta so thank you 🙂 I know my boys will love it!
This would be perfect for the kids! (And the flavors sound delicious for adults, too!)
As soon as I saw your images it brought back so many childhood memories.
How fun. This is perfect for kids. I must make this soup for mine one day. They would love it!
How fun! What a great twist on ABC soup