Mashed Potato Casserole. The creamiest, cheesiest mashed potatoes EVER! This easy to make side dish is loaded up with extra melty cheese, crispy bacon, and chives. The best part? You can make this dish ahead of time and then just pop it in the oven to heat back up! This dish will end up being the highlight of any meal!
This mashed potato casserole is melt in your mouth creamy and smooth, loaded up with tons of melty cheese, crunchy panko bread crumbs, topped with crisp salty bacon, and bits of chives for color and a pop of fresh flavor.
I know mashed potatoes are typically a side dish, but I’m thinking in the case of this dish we may be ok making it an entire meal. No judgment here! It’s absolutely possible I attacked this dish with a fork once the pics were done!
Mashed potatoes have forever been my favorite side dish. There’s so many ways to enjoy them. Plain. Loaded with butter. Drenched in gravy. But I think the combination of mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon is my all time favorite!
How to Make Mashed Potato Casserole:
- We’ll start with making the mashed potatoes. We’re going to load the mashed potatoes up with sweet cream butter, sour cream to make them extra creamy, a bit of milk, some garlic powder and salt to give flavor. You can definitely leave out the garlic if you’re not a fan, but I’m a the more garlic the better type of person.
- Mix some of the cheddar cheese with the mashed potatoes. This helps make the entire dish extra cheesy.
- I also toasted a bit of panko bread crumbs and sprinkled those on top. They give a wonderful toasty taste, plus they add a bit of texture. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and extra shredded cheese, then bake briefly.
- After baking add the crumbled bacon and chives. Serve this dish warm. I guarantee this will be the highlight of the meal!
Can I prepare this Mashed Potato Casserole Ahead of Time?
Let’s face it, holidays can get a little hectic right? One less thing to worry about can definitely make the day more enjoyable. You can prepare this dish the day before, just cook the potatoes and mash them, then add them to the casserole dish, cover and bake the next day and add all the toppings. Was!
These potatoes are the creamiest, cheesiest, and I highly recommend you dive right in, fork first, to the casserole dish itself!
More Side Dish Recipes to Try:
- Cranberry Apple Stuffing
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Corn Casserole
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole
WANT TO TRY THIS MASHED POTATO CASSEROLE?
PIN IT TO YOUR SIDE DISH BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Mashed Potato Casserole
- ¼ cup panko
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 5 strips bacon , cooked
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Peel and chop the potatoes. Add to a large pot. Cover with water and heat over high heat, boil the potatoes in the water about 20 minutes or until softened.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the potatoes and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, sour cream, milk, garlic powder, and salt. Mix with a potato masher or for creamier potatoes use a hand or stand mixer.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon the potato mixture into the dish. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- In a small saucepan add the tablespoon of butter and the panko bread crumbs. Cook over medium heat until just toasted. Sprinkle on top of the potatoes.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for about 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with bacon and chives. Serve warm and enjoy!