Cheesy Corn Casserole
Cheesy Corn Casserole. This EASY to make corn casserole is a must make for Thanksgiving or any holiday. Loaded with cheese, buttery crackers and corn this will quickly become a family favorite!
What is corn casserole?
To be honest I had never heard of corn casserole before marrying my husband and he requested it for our first Thanksgiving together. Thankfully his grandma gave me the recipe she has used for years and that he loves! Which is the recipe I’m sharing here. I know a lot of versions of corn casserole involve using corn bread mix, but we’re not going to do that!
Corn casserole is a traditional holiday dish. It’s also called corn pudding. It’s made of fresh, steamed, or canned, corn, and thickening agents. This version of corn casserole uses cheese, cracker crumbs, and eggs to create the texture. There’s also some onion, and and some seasonings to add some extra flavor!
How to make Corn Casserole:
What corn can I use?
- I use canned corn when making this recipe. It saves time and it makes it easy to put together, which is helpful since I typically make this as a holiday side dish. I love the texture of using one can whole kernel corn and one can creamed corn.
- Fresh corn: Remove the corn from the husks. Using a sharp knife, slice off the kernels of corn. With the dull side of the knife press and scrape the cob all the way down to remove all the bits of kernel and creamy milk inside. Then follow the recipe as written using this fresh corn. You will want to use about 8 ears of corn.
- Frozen corn: make sure to thaw the corn before using in this recipe.
Other options for Corn Pudding?
This particular version that I’m sharing with you is loaded up with cheese and cracker crumbs. If you want to try something different, you can always sub out a different type of cheese and cracker. You can also make several additions. Some things you may want to add:
- Fresh herbs
- Green chiles
- Diced jalapeno
More Holiday Side Dishes:
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mashed Potato Casserole
- Apple Cranberry Stuffing
- Apple Cider Sangria
WANT TO TRY THIS CHEESY CORN CASSEROLE??
PIN IT to your SIDE DISH, CASSEROLE or THANKSGIVING board TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Cheesy Corn Casserole
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn, not drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk, can also sub with milk of choice
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp onion, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 12 ounces swiss cheese, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups coarsely crushed cracker crumbs, I used Ritz, can use Saltines or other cracker of choice
- Preheat oven to 325℉. Grease baking dish and set aside.
- Drain whole kernel corn into a cup, set aside.
- Add the corn to a medium size mixing bowl. Pour in half of the liquid from the corn, approximately 1/3 of a cup. Add the cream style corn, milk, butter, eggs, onion, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the cracker crumbs and cheese.
- Spoon into baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 1 hour or until set (give the dish a shake and if the center is jiggly, almost like a liquid then it needs longer, once it no longer jiggles then it's done.)
- Serve warm and enjoy!