Banana Pudding Ice Cream
Banana Pudding Ice Cream. This easy to make ice cream is egg free and made with REAL banana! Layered with whipped cream and vanilla wafers this ice cream is a fun twist on a classic treat perfect for summer!
What is more southern than banana pudding?? It’s always a favorite dessert around these parts. There’s some BBQ joints nearby that carry banana pudding that I can usually send the hubs to snag for me when the craving occurs. However, I think this frozen version of Banana Pudding Ice Cream is my new favorite thing.
This ice cream is made with an Ice Cream Maker, my favorite one is this Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. It’s an easy ice cream to make though, it’s a Philadelphia style, meaning we don’t need to make the custard with the eggs and do that entire business. This ice cream is made using cold cream and milk.
To give the banana flavor we’re going to use…REAL banana!!! No actual pudding mixes were used in the making of this ice cream. Although I can’t be super proud of myself for keeping to real ingredients with this recipe thanks to the whipped topping.
I know, I know. Trust me, if you have reservations about using whipped topping in any recipe, I am right there with you. I never use it. I use real whipped cream whenever needed. But whipped topping? Ehhhh… not so much.
So why am I using it in this ice cream?? Because the texture when frozen. You could sub out with whipped heavy cream, but it isn’t going to have the best texture.
And can we just talk about these little ice cream containers?!? Slightly perfect for little hands and mouths, and for portion control. I got a set of four of these and made the ice cream in them and in a large container because there was still plenty of ice cream left over. I may snag another set of these little containers though because they really are the perfect size for the littles and for me.
More Frozen Treats for Summer:
Banana Pudding Ice Cream
- 2 cups milk, cold
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold
- 3/4 white granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas , mashed
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup vanilla wafers, crushed
- ice cream maker
- In a large bowl combine the milk, cream, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Stir to combine. Add in the mashed bananas. Stir until mixed.
- Pour the chilled cream mixture into frozen bowl of an ice cream maker. Churn according to the directions of your ice cream maker, about 20 minutes or until mixture is soft serve texture.
- Spoon a layer of the ice cream mixture into your ice cream container, layer with several spoonfuls of the thawed whipped topping, then a layer of vanilla wafer crumbles. Continue creating layers until all the ice cream is used.
- Cover the container and place in the freezer.
- Allow to freeze for at least 4-6 hours. Once frozen, allow to sit at room temperature for just a couple of minutes to make scooping easier.
- Top with additional vanilla wafers and sliced banana if desired! Enjoy!