Easy shredded Mexican Chicken. This flavorful shredded Mexican chicken comes together in 30 minutes, start to finish and is perfect for filling tacos, burritos, taquitos, or loading up on nachos or even into a salad. This is my new favorite way to make shredded chicken!
How to make Shredded Mexican Chicken:
- Prepare the chicken taco seasoning.
- Coat the chicken with the seasoning, press it into the chicken with your hands.
- Cook in a hot skillet with just a small amount of oil to sear both sides.
- Pour in some chicken broth, cover the skillet with a lid and let the chicken cook until it reaches 165 degrees and is easily shredded.
- Return the chicken to the pan and stir in the remaining seasoned broth from cooking. This gives more flavor throughout the chicken.
- You’re ready to use this Shredded Mexican Chicken in all of your favorite dishes!
What kind of chicken do I use for Mexican Chicken?
I have used this same recipe with both chicken breasts and chicken thighs and it turns out perfectly with either. It just depends on which type of meat you prefer. The thighs have dark meat and retain just a bit more natural juices. But the way that we poach the chicken with this recipe, makes for juicy chicken breasts also!
What spices are in a chicken taco seasoning?
There are a few subtle difference though, this particular recipe I added some paprika, and made a few other adjustments. Just because I feel the chicken can handle more spices.
The spices involved are: cumin, oregano, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
What are some things I can make with this Shredded Mexican Chicken?
Some tools to help make this recipe (affiliate links):
WANT TO TRY THIS EASY SHREDDED MEXICAN CHICKEN?
PIN IT NOW!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Easy Shredded Mexican Chicken
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients to make the chicken taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Coat the chicken on both sides with the chicken taco seasoning.
- Drizzle the olive oil and heat in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Pour in the chicken stock. Cover the skillet and let the chicken cook in the broth for about 15-20 minutes, until the chicken registers 165 degrees internally and is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, shred using a fork, then return to the skillet. Stir to coat the chicken in the remaining sauce in the skillet. Let sit and keep warm on low heat for about 3-5 minutes, to get good flavor throughout the chicken.