Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Homemade Cranberry Sauce. This simple cranberry sauce recipe is bursting with fresh flavor. Sweetened and infused with flavor by using apple cider and orange juice this updated classic recipe is sure to be a new family favorite!
How to make Cranberry sauce?
Making a homemade cranberry sauce is fairy simple and easy. Fresh cranberries are used in this recipe. If you haven’t had fresh cranberries before they are extremely tart on their own. So we need to balance that out with some sweetness.
To do that we will boil the berries in a mixture of apple cider (or you can use apple juice for a less spiced version) and some fresh orange juice.
Cooking the berries in the mixture of the juices for just about 7-8 minutes and you will notice the berries softening and bursting. A quick mash with a potato masher and you can get the consistency that you want for your Cranberry sauce recipe.
Last we will add just a bit of light brown sugar. Again, the sweetness helps take the edge off the tartness of the berries.
Tips for making Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- I find that adding some brown sugar at the end, instead of mixing it in while cooking the cranberries, lets me control the sweetness level of the cranberry sauce. Just add it in a tablespoon at a time while the sauce is warm and it melts right in and blends in perfectly.
- You can of course add any other seasoning that you want. Some people like to add cinnamon or nutmeg to the cranberries. Feel free to experiment a little. This is one of those very forgiving recipes
How to make a Cranberry Orange Sauce:
This recipe is a cranberry orange sauce! We’re infusing our cranberries with the orange juice while they soften up for mashing. And to give an even stronger orange flavor add the orange peel to the pot while simmering the cranberries.
Just remove it once the berries are soft enough for mashing. add some orange zest once the cranberry sauce is finished for a colorful and flavorful pop.
More Side Dish Recipes to Try:
WANT TO TRY THIS HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE?
PIN IT NOW!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- ¾ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- pinch salt
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- Add the cranberries, apple cider, fresh orange juice, salt and the peel from the orange (you can see in the pics I just toss half the orange in) into a medium size saucepan. Heat over medium heat and cook until the cranberries soften and burst. Remove the orange peel. Once the berries are easily mashed you can mash them to your desired consistency.
- Add in the sugar until you reach your desired sweetness level. I preferred mine with 1/3 a cup, you may like yours more or less sweet. But adding it after the berries are cooked lets you choose how sweet they will be.
- Let cool. Serve and enjoy!