French Silk Brownies. A homemade fudgy brownie topped with a smooth and creamy French Silk topping. The ultimate in chocolate desserts.
French Silk Brownies. Why hello there pure chocolate delight. Who here loves chocolate?! If you said yes then this dessert is for you!!
Soft and fudgy brownies topped with a smooth and creamy french silk layer.
This is the same brownie recipe I used for the Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies. It’s perfect for using to layer up. It’s thick and fudgy, yet soft. The french silk layer is beyond perfect. And it’s the same as the recipe for the Mini French Silk Pies.
If you’ve never made French Silk before, it’s really easy, just slightly particular. I go into a lot of detail on the pie post, so I don’t want to repeat myself too much. But yes, it’s made with egg.
You can use pasteurized eggs if there’s some at your market, or you can use a pasteurized egg product. When I used this in the past it did have a slightly different texture and it needs to be mixed and beat a bit more than regular eggs.
Tips for Making These French Silk Brownies:
- Pulse the sugar in a blender or food processor to make it ultra fine. Otherwise you will notice some grit to the french silk.
- Use good quality chocolate in the French Silk layer. Once you melt it let it cool down so that it’s not hot when added to the butter so we don’t melt the butter. Should still be stirrable.
- Keep the eggs in the fridge until needed. When you add the first egg you will need to mix for 5 minutes, then take the second egg from the fridge when you need to add it to the mixer.
French Silk Brownies
French Silk Topping
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, I used Ghirardelli -melted and cooled
- ¾ cup ultra fine sugar, white granulated sugar that has been blended or through a food processor
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, cold
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ degrees. Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil or parchment paper, spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl prepare the brownie batter. Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugars and cream until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract, mix until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Mix until fully combined and mixture is smooth. Will be thick.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Use a rubber spatula to spread the batter into an even layer and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until the brownies are baked through. Remove from the oven and allow the brownies to cool to room temperature.
French Silk Topping
- Melt the chocolate and allow it to cool. It should still be stirrable but cool. Melt in the microwave heating in 30 second increments and stirring in between until all chocolate is melted.
- Add white granulated sugar to the blender or processor and pulse until sugar is powder like and ultra fine.
- In mixer cream the butter and the ultra fine sugar together. Pour in the cooled melted chocolate and mix until combined. Scrape the sides to ensure completely mixed.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix on low to combine.
- Add in one egg, cold from the fridge. Mix on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Scrape the sides and add the second egg, cold from the fridge. Mix for another 5 minutes on high speed. The mixture will be smooth and silky.
- Spoon onto the top of the cooled brownies. Don't put on while the brownies are hot, it will melt the french silk. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula or offset spatula.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to cool for at least 2 hours. Store in refrigerator covered.