Cheesy Corn Fritters
Cheesy Corn Fritters. These easy to make fritters are loaded up with fresh corn, flavor, and most importantly cheese! Fried in a small amount of olive oil, these fritters are the perfect way to enjoy the flavors of summer!
What are Corn Fritters?
Fritters are small fried cakes, corn fritters are of course, made of corn! The corn and chopped vegetables are held together by a thick batter. They are fried in a small amount of oil, this makes the exterior crispy and the inside is soft, loaded with melty cheese, and fresh bits of juicy corn.
These particular corn fritters are loaded up with chopped jalapeno, green onion, and cilantro. Plus there’s a healthy portion of cheese.
What kind of corn is used? Can I use canned or frozen corn to make fritters?
I love corn fritters made with fresh corn. However, I know that fresh corn isn’t available the entire year. So these fritters can be made with canned or frozen corn also.
To use canned corn, strain the corn and use paper towels to dry off the corn as much as possible.
To use frozen corn it needs to be thawed first. To do this you can add it to a bowl, add a small amount of water and microwave it for a couple minutes. Or you can place the corn in a strainer and run water over the corn until defrosted. Again, use a paper towel to dry off the corn as much as possible before making the fritters.
Can I freeze these corn fritters?
Yes! These corn fritters freeze wonderfully. To enjoy after being frozen, bring to room temperature by setting out on the counter for about an hour, or in the fridge overnight. Then cook them up in a pan with a small amount of oil or even some butter.
What is the best way to reheat corn fritters?
The best way to reheat fritters that you have saved in the fridge are to heat them up in the pan with a small amount of oil or a bit of butter.
More corn recipes:
- Mexican Corn Dip
- Mexican Street Corn Nachos
- Smoky Bacon and Blue Cheese Corn Salad
- Mexican Street Corn
WANT TO TRY THESE CHEESY CORN FRITTERS?
PIN IT NOW!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Cheesy Corn Fritters
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh is best. Can use frozen or canned also
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno , deseeded, membranes removed, diced
- juice from 1/2 a lime, 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 2 eggs , beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- 1½ cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Add the corn to a large bowl. If using fresh corn, cut all the kernels off the cob. If using canned or frozen check notes at bottom of recipe.
- Add in the diced green cilantro, green onion, diced jalapeno, and squeeze in the lime juice from 1/2 a lime.
- In a small bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, chili powder and stir to combine.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the corn. Stir to mix together.
- Pour in the beaten eggs, milk, and cheese. Stir to combine. Will be a thick batter.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil, we just need to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Place a scoop of the corn fritter batter, about a 1/4 cup amount into the hot oil. Press the batter down to compact it, and press the sides in to help create a patty shape using a rubber spatula.
- Let the fritters cook in the oil for about 2-3 minutes, you will see the edges starting to turn golden. Then carefully using a spatula flip the corn fritters over to cook the other side. Once both sides are golden brown then remove from the pan and set on a tray lined with a paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
- At this point you can sprinkle with any extra salt or pepper you may want.
- Serve the fritters warm. They are excellent with a little sour cream, salsa, and a squeeze of lime juice.