Chunky Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Chunky Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. This tender and moist banana bread is fully loaded with melty chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. This easy to make recipe is sure to become your All Time Favorite Banana Bread.
This Chunky Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is based on my favorite Banana Bread recipe. Except this version is loaded up with melted chocolate chips and bits of chopped walnuts. The addition of the chocolate takes this snack bread into the dessert category. Serve warm while the chocolate is extra melty for a decadent treat!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:
- Cream Butter & Sugar: stir together the softened butter and sugar until completely combined. A hand or stand mixer can be used for this part.
- Add Eggs & Buttermilk: buttermilk makes this bread amazingly moist and tender. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand instructions are included on how to make your own substitute.
- Mash Bananas: mash the bananas on a separate plate, bananas should be a nice smooth creamy Using a fork to mash the bananas gives more texture to our bread, don’t use a mixer for this step.
- Add Dry Ingredients: in the same bowl add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in Chocolate & Walnuts: gently fold the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts into the batter being sure not to over-mix. After the batter has been poured into the loaf pan, sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake: loosely cover the banana bread with foil for the first 30 minutes of baking, this helps prevent too much browning. Uncover for the remaining baking time.
- Brown Bananas: make sure you are using browned bananas and not bright yellow bananas. As the bananas become brown, they become sweeter and create a sweeter, more tender bread.
- Don’t Over-mix: mix the bread batter until it just comes together. Over-mixing can cause your bread to become dense and thick. To help prevent over-mixing mix with a spoon or rubber spatula instead of a stand or hand mixer.
- Extra Chocolate: Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top of the loaf just before baking. This ensures that the chocolate chips show up on the top of the loaf.
Storage and Freezing:
- Storage: store leftover banana bread in a sealed container, or wrapped in foil at room temperature for 4-5 days.
- Freezing: banana bread can be frozen, wrap in foil and place in a freezer safe storage bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove from the freezer and let thaw at room temperature.
More Banana Recipes to Try:
Chunky Monkey Banana Bread
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup buttermilk, **see notes if no buttermilk on hand
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 bananas, mashed (approx 1½ cups)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- additional chocolate chips for the top of the bread prior to baking
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray loaf pan with baking spray set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugars.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk and mashed bananas. Mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes covered with loosely with foil. Remove then continue baking for an additional 30 minutes or until fully cooked, top will be a golden brown. (foil helps to prevent too much browning)
- Allow to cool in the pan then remove to continue cooling on a wire rack.