Chunky Monkey Banana Bread! An update to a classic banana bread by adding walnuts and chocolate.
This Chunky Monkey Banana Bread is an update to my Grandma’s Banana Bread recipe that I shared with y’all a while back. Because let’s face it, adding chocolate always makes things better.
Plus it’s kind of fun to call things Chunky Monkey. Which basically is the combination of banana, chocolate and walnuts. It’s a wonderful combination actually. And my kids go crazy for it. It could just be that they want the chocolate though.
This is my absolute favorite banana bread recipe. Again, I made some changes from the way Grandma made hers. I switched out the shortening for butter. Because shortening scares me and I would rather use butter. Plus butter is kind of slightly amazing. I also used a combination of light brown sugar and white sugar in place of all white sugar. It adds a bit more moisture and depth of flavor.
And of course, we want to use those lovely ultra ripe bananas. The browner the better! Bananas are a hot commodity in our household though with little Bubba man running around. I have found that markets tend to sell the over ripe bananas for baking really cheap though!
More Dessert Recipes You May Like:Print
Chunky Monkey Banana Bread (and Recipe Video!)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (**see notes if no buttermilk on hand)
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- (additional chocolate chunks for the top of the bread prior to baking)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan with baking spray set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugars.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk and mashed bananas. Mix until well combined.
- In a small mixing bowl add the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Top with additional chocolate chunks.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes. Top will be golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan then remove to continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 201 g
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Protein: 7 g
WANT TO TRY THIS CHUNKY MONKEY BANANA BREAD?!
PIN IT to your BREADS, or BAKING Board to SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!