This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Blue Cheese Hominy Casserole is the ultimate in comfort food! Creamy, cheesy hominy makes the perfect side dish to any meal!
All about this Blue Cheese Hominy Casserole..
- Taste: This casserole is made just like a baked macaroni and cheese, except we’re adding in some blue cheese which gives a nice tangy flavoring to this cheesy dish.
- Texture: using hominy gives a nice hearty, tender, and chewy bite. Hominy has a bit more bite to it than macaroni noodles.
- Comfort: creamy, luscious and comforting this dish is the ultimate level of comfort food.
The ingredients are fairly simple and other than the cheese they’re things you most likely have in your pantry. The roux is made with the combination of butter, flour and milk. Then seasonings and cheese give the flavor.
- All Purpose Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Ground Mustard
- White Sharp Cheddar Cheese (adds a wonderful sharp bite to this fairly mellow dish)
- Blue Cheese Crumbles (adds a tangy flavoring)
- White Hominy
What is Hominy?
- Hominy is made from maize (corn) kernels. It is corn that has gone through a process called nixtamalization. The corn is soaked in an alkaline solution of lime, which separates the parts of the corn kernel. This removes the husks of the kernels and makes the corn puff up.
- If ground, hominy is what turns into masa, which is used for making corn tortillas or tamales. It is also used for making grits and polenta.
- Canned hominy is often found in soups like pozole and menudo.
What to Serve Hominy Casserole with?
Blue Cheese Hominy Casserole
- white cheddar cheese shredded
- crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt Butter: In medium size saucepan melt the butter and cook the minced garlic over low heat for 30 seconds.
- Make Roux: Stir in the flour until smooth. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Milk: Whisk in the milk, cook over medium heat whisking occasionally until sauce is thickened.
- Cheese: Add in the cheeses and stir while the cheese melts into the sauce. Taste and adjust salt/seasonings as desired.
- Pour over hominy: Add the hominy into the 2 qt baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the top. Stir so that the hominy is coated in the sauce.
- Bake: Top with additional shredded white cheddar cheese, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking an additional 15 minutes until bubbly and golden on the top.
- Topping: Remove from the oven and allow to cool a couple minutes, then sprinkle with additional blue cheese crumbles before serving.
- Hominy: you could use a combination of golden and white if desired.
- Storage: store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Make Ahead: prepare the casserole by following the instructions to step 6, where the sauce is poured over the hominy in the baking dish. Cover this with foil and store in the refrigerator. To bake, remove from the refrigerator while preheating the oven to 350℉. Keep covered with foil and bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.