This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sweet, spicy and tart, this Watermelon and Tajin is a vibrant snack that screams summer! Fresh juicy watermelon is drizzled in a sweet, tart chamoy sauce and sprinkled with tangy Tajin.
If you’re a fan of Mexican fruit salad and all the sweet juicy fruits smothered in tart chamoy and tangy tajin, then you will absolutely fall head over heels for this super easy snack food! There’s a reason fruit is served by Mexican street vendors this way. The flavor combination is unexpectedly delightful and will have you making this snack on repeat all summer long.
This snack has all the flavors!
What you Need
- Watermelon: we love cutting up a seedless variety, this makes it easy for serving to smaller children and others who don’t want to deal with removing the seeds. Here’s some information on how to pick and cut a watermelon if needed.
- Chamoy: a sweet, tart and mildly spicy sauce made of pureed, dried fruits, hibiscus and chili powder. Use a homemade chamoy sauce or store-bought, one of our favorites is the Siete brand (not sponsored just a fan!).
- Tajin: this is a brand name of a chili lime seasoning. It is salty, tangy and slightly spicy. Although you can always use a homemade version to increase the heat, or buy the habanero version for more spice.
Sweet & Spicy Watermelon
- Cut the watermelon: you can serve this with the watermelon cut into sticks, wedges, or cubes.
- Drizzle the cut up watermelon with the chamoy sauce.
- Top with a dusting of tajin seasoning. Sprinkle more for more spice or less for a mild spice.
Switch it up
- Tajin: if you don’t have this in your cabinet no worries! There’s several varieties of store-bought chili lime seasoning, or you can always make your own at home and control the amount of tangy lime, spicy chiles and salt content.
- Fruit: of course you can swap out the watermelon and use another type of melon, or jicama, or even cucumbers. Check out our Mexican fruit salad recipe for an idea of what fruits are a perfect match for these flavors.
How to Serve Watermelon and Tajin
- Skewers: grab some wooden skewers and slide on some cubed watermelon. This is a fun way to serve this snack to a crowd or when out at the beach or pool.
- Cups: just like you would get from the street vendors, fill a cup with the cubed watermelon and add your toppings.
- Plate/Bowl: spread out the watermelon, cut into cubes, wedges, or sticks and add your toppings. You can even serve the chamoy on the side for dipping if you would prefer.
More Mexican Street Food Recipes
- Elotes: Grilled Mexican Street Corn
- Esquites: Mexican Street Corn Cups
- Mexican Fruit Salad
Watermelon and Tajin
- ½ seedless watermelon
- 1 teaspoon tajin or chili lime seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chamoy sauce
- Cut the watermelon in half, cut the watermelon into 1 inch cubes removing the peel.
- Spread the watermelon cubes on a plate (or serve on skewers or in cups).
- Drizzle with chamoy sauce.
- Sprinkle with Tajin as desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.